Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 98, Win2k or XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoamJosephides

Technical User
Dec 3, 2001
IL
Which OS would be better for video editing?
what should i install on my new computer for best DV
editing?

Rhanks

Hi,

WIn98 ??? No, No, No.

So we left with 2 options.

Well, WindowsXP Pro ( not Home Edition ) got a support of a width range of DV devices but still got a little compateble problems with some editing software, the premier works just fine on XP.

Windows2000 Pro, support a lot of editing software but less Dv hardware devices.

Both systems are very stable which makes them very suitable for that kind of work.

Buttom line, if you got enogth time install XP and see if you got everything working on it and if so stay with it.
If it gives you problem install from scratch WIn2k.

Hi, me again...

If you decide to go with the Win2k os don't forget to install the latest DirectX and all the it's patches.

1 more point worth mentioning... I am not crazy about the notion that with Win 2000 you cannot easily use a codec other than Microsoft's. I realize that there are patches available out there that will allow you to use other's codecs. But none of them are particularly easy to install or use.

It's not that Microsoft's codec is all that bad. It isn't. However, many believe that some 3rd party codecs are a bit better.

I am not certain if XP poses this same limitation.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back