Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WIN 98 SE Shutdown problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

orange

Technical User
Sep 3, 2001
US
To All the fellow souls out there:

I tried all conceivable ways to solve my shutdown problem (windows would hang at the shutdown screen). I couldn't but laugh at some of the suggestions of downloading a special software (not the patch) or create a desktop shortcut.
For me, what solved the problem was flashing my bios with an updated one. I KNOW that for most of you outthere, the risks outweigh the benefit. After all only those who have had their bios flashed out of existense can fathom the potential damage. But for the few ones who are willing to take the risk, go to your motherboard's web site, find information about your bios, and download the latest version. Keep handy a tech support phone number of the manufacturer to order a new bios should your endeavor fail. Then proceed to flash your bios (the whole process is really easy).

So good luck and be reasonable. For me, updating my bios gave me a totally new computer. When I tried to update my motherboard drivers though, my system would hang up so I had to unistall them (helps if you actually read the readme.file

orange,

I don't know what your conceivable ways were so here goes:

If you're using Win98 Second edition (4.10.2222A), here's a link to the Shutdown Supplement:

If its installed and not working correctly,

The Fast Shutdown registry key may be enabled.

The Microsoft System Configuration utility includes an option to disable Fast Shutdown. If this option is unchecked in Windows 98 Second Edition, your system may reboot instead of shutting down.

To resolve this issue, backup the registry and/or export the following keys:
go to Start>Run, type regedit. Navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Shutdown

Right-click on the FastReboot entry, choose modify and type in the number 0.

NOTE: When you apply the Windows 98 Second Edition Shutdown Supplement, which addresses shutdown issues, the Disable Fast Shutdown option is no longer listed on the Advanced tab in Msconfig.

reghakr

My system shuts down ok, but will not restart. IT
always hangs at least once and sometimes just sits
there with a blank screen.

Does the same solution work for this problem
or is there something else I need to do.

yes, try the above.

reghakr

i'm not sure ur problem will be solved or not yet? but i advise u, may be ur systems devices confilict thats why ur system hang at studdown process, just go to device manager properties and select system devices, and check any duplicate devices name if u see plz select and delete it and restart the computer, i'm sure ur studdown problem will be solve after do this.

thanks
smudassir

You may find that the problem returns.

If you will check previous threads and FAQs in this forum you will see some other solutions and non-solutions and some real tales of woe.

If you will do a google search you will find a site "ahuma" that pretty much is the bible for solutions to the problem.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back