Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WIN 98 SE or 1st? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oceanic7777

Technical User
Mar 30, 2001
US
Reasons why I should stick with Windows 98 First Edition instead of Second Edition? Any? Or should I go with SE

Vital Specs:
Compaq Presario 5612
350MHz
288 Mb RAM
8GB Primary Hard Drive
40GB Secondary Hard Drive (for file storage)

-------

My reason's for purchasing:
I lost some critical startup files for 98 first edition. I have lost my Compaq Restore CD, which contains WIN 98 1st.

So I need to reformat and install a clean copy of an OS. I have opted against XP because of potential performance and compatability issues.

I can buy a full OEM version of WIN 98 1st or 2nd Edition online. (Let me know if you have any dealer recommendations.)

----
After installing, I'll be reconnecting my 40 GB drive, which has all my important files and documents.

Personal opinion would spring for SE, even given the shutdown problems. Cleaner install and cleaner over the top reinstall.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Go for the SE if I was you. Providing the COMPAQ will let you install it. Don't forget you will need all the hardware drivers applicable to the kit in your machine i.e graphics, audio, modem etc.. most of these can be obtained via the Compaq website - you may need to take the back off your machine to ascertain which parts are fitted. You are probably right to stay away from XP as Compaq do not list drivers for it anyway.

Gigabyte GA8KNXP MoBo - P4 Prescott 3.0G CPU - 512 Corsair (256x2) Matched Pair DDR - 4 x HDD (360GB) - 2 X CDRW - 1 X DVD - 550W PSU - Dual Boot system XP Pro & WIN98SE

I concur with the other posters here. SE is more stable than FE. Given the choice, I would go with SE.

As a matter of fact, that's exactly what I'm gonna do if I ever get the time to redo my machine.

Regards,
MTGD

There is essentially no reason to go for FE over SE in your situation. Win98SE has the same support as FE, with additional patches and fixes. Plus, it is no more demanding on your hardware than the 1st edition.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Sometimes restore cds show up on ebay.
If a compaq one would show up and the listing not be terminated, you might be able to get the system going again cheaper than buying a copy of win98.

-------------------------------------
It's 10 O'Clock ( somewhere! ).
Are your registry and data backed up?

Two or three other things for your consideration:
I've never had a compaq so I dont know if these are useful ideas or not:

1) On generic systems, sometimes when windows is installed the cabinet files which would permit reinstalling are put in a folder somewhere. If that happened to be the case on your system, you could basically get all the win98 files, driver files and key numbers from your system.

2) I hear about restore partitions on systems like that, dont know if what you need is there.

3) Dont know how many files you've lost-sometimes people that have had trouble with a file being damaged or lost or finding some arcane fix file will post it on a website. If it was like only 2-3 files you needed maybe you could find them somewhere and repair your existing setup.

-------------------------------------
It's 10 O'Clock ( somewhere! ).
Are your registry and data backed up?

If I'm not mistaken...I think I heard form previous threads that Sys Restore CDs from Compaq are ~10 USD.

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back