Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 98 SE and Win XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharc

Technical User
Jun 12, 2001
CA
I'm having a problem with a simple two computer network using a crossover cable between my desktop (XP) and laptop (98SE).

On my desktop, I am able to ping both computers (set up as 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2). On my laptop, I am only able to ping itself, I get a "request timed out" when trying to ping the desktop. XP does not show any other computers in the network. Any ideas what may be causing the problem?

sharc

That sounds awful funny to me. Does your laptop work anywhere else? Make sure your crossover cable is at least 1 meter long. But it almost sounds like a faulty NIC card on the laptop to me. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shnypr-small.gif

...@shnypr.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I took Zonealarm off of both computers and that seems to have made a difference. I am now able to ping both computers from my desktop and vice-versa.

However, in Network neighborhood on win 98, it still says network inaccessible. From XP I cannot find the laptop using the search command or map network drives in Explorer.

Any thoughts?

Make sure File and Printer sharing are enabled in your network properties in control panel.

You also change your login to "Client for Microsoft Networks"

Make those 2 changes to both machines, and it will ask you to reboot. Then you should be able to browse the network about 5 mins after you have rebooted. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shnypr-small.gif

tech@shnypr.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back