Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 98 Running Processes 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

poper2ca

Technical User
Sep 10, 2002
CA
I have 26 processes running on my computer and have 69% system resources free is this about normal or could I better that.I really need to know which process are important to keep up and running and which don't need to be.

26 is awfully high. The best time to count them is right after you boot up. If the number is over 15, you have too many. Shoot for about 10-12.

In Win98, you can go to Start->Run and type msconfig. Go to the startup tab to see what's loading with Windows. Be careful if you're not sure what you're unchecking.

Here are a couple that you want to leave alone:

[ul][li]ScanRegistry[/li]
[li]SystemTray[/li]
[li]LoadPowerProfile (even if you have more than one)[/li][/ul]

There might be others as well. It all depends on the type of apps you want to leave running, such as your antivirus program. If you're still not sure, post back with the name and path of the one(s) you're not sure about...
~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

I've got the processes down to 15.It's amazing how much stuff runs in the background wasting processor energy.Thanks for the heads up cdogg -- poper2ca

Try upgrading a little more physical memory, its not all processor usage.

moore raam!! you sound like my dad!
damned sys tray rolls over to the left side of his screen! only have what you need load at start-up!

You can have even less running. When I am finished setting up a computer for my company that is running Win98 there are only four items loading and two are programs that I loaded: our AntiVirus program and PC-Duo (remote access tool). I disagree about loading the Power profile; I would only use it on a laptop. Check out this web site, it will help identify the programs that are running.

It may be obvious but no one has mentioned that you NEED to have Explorer running, else... no windows

Your right shale00, I figured it was so obvious I didn’t mention it. Any way the only thing I leave running on a Win98 computer is Explorer, Systray our AntiVirus and remote tool and systray is not really necessary.

I agree that LoadPowerProfile is required for laptops and optional for desktops. However, some people don't realize what they're losing when they disable it. A lot of people like their pc's to turn off automatically when they choose shutdown from the start menu. Others may prefer their monitor to go into "power saving" mode. It's just not possible without LoadPowerProfile, which is why I generally recommend leaving it checked...

Also, more RAM will not necessarily increase the % of free resources once you're at 128MB
~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back