Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 98 installation: system hangs at cdrom driver loading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I just got a new hard drive, and i'm attempting to install win98... when i use the startup disk, i'm given the options to "install win98 using cdrom", "start system with cdrom support" or "start system without cdrom support". When i try to install or get cdrom support, the system hangs on the first driver that it attempts to load (and/or copy. i'm not sure). so, i can't get cdrom support and can't install windows. help me! (both my cdroms are detected in the startup)

How are they detected? Do you notice a Master/Slave problem? Are they set right? (Master Slave). If it hangs on the first driver try another boot disk. If it still hangs try taking out one of the CDROMS. If you still have the same problem it may have something to do with the Hard Drive.

Let us know how this works.

Try downloading and creating a CDGod bootdisk from Once its downloaded, you need to unzip it. Then run the .exe to create the CDGod bootdisk. Insert it, boot to it and its pretty self explanatory. Basically it gives you the chance to repeatedly keep trying over 50 different CDRom drivers until you see you get support. Then you can install windows...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back