Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 98 - Cannot find a device file....

Status
Not open for further replies.

donnajoe83

Technical User
Feb 7, 2004
US
Recently, I installed a Windows 98 "for new PC" on my Pentium 166 pc (which had no op system). The install went fine, but several days later, after make various changes to enable internet; installing a ethernet card, dsl modem, etc., I started getting the following message during startup. Keep in mind, I NEVER deleted anything.
The message states as follows:

"Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run windows or a windows application.

The windows registry or System.INI file refers to this device file, but the device file no longer exists.

If you deleted this file on purpose, try uninstalling the associated application using its uninstall or setup program.

If you still want to use the application associated with this device file, try reinstalling that application to replace the missing file.

vserver.vxt
Press a key to continue "

If you press enter two or three times, it does allow you to get to your windows desktop. Everything else seems to be working okay as far as I can tell. It's just annoying having to go through this process during boot up.

I have no idea what "device file" it is referring to or which of the programs it is referring to as the "associated program".

Do you have any idea? Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

vserver.vxt is missing. Probably was added for the ethernet card and since everything seems to be working without it the entry in the registry or win.ini can be deleted.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back