Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 98 & Win2K using same DBF's - Keeps Corrupting

Status
Not open for further replies.

StorageLady

Programmer
Nov 27, 2001
US
I have multiple workstations working with the same DBF's - accessing, reading data, writing to the dbf. Most w/s are on Win98, 1 is W2k.

After a few hours have passed, ALL users start getting an "Internal Consistency Error". In order to continue, I have to make a new DBF with the same structure as the DBF I determine has been corrupted, append the data from the bad dbf, and then carry on. After that, it works fine for a while.

When the w/s with W2K is offline - I don't have this problem.

How can I get this resolved?

Hi
W2K systems are not supporting FP perfectly as it is. They need tweaking with no guarantee. The problems start with memo fields, and corruption appears more if memo fields are used. The problem will be pronounced if faster W2K units are used.

For the time being, you can try by creating a Config.fpw and adding lines
MEMLIMIT = 60, 2048, 16384

ramani :)
(Subramanian.G),FoxAcc, ramani_g@yahoo.com

I'm not using Memo fields at all - but the problem seems to arise with writing to the dbf. The dbf tracks order requests - so everyone taking the orders is accessing the dbf, and adding records to it.

Any other suggestions on how to resolve the issue?

What Service Pack level is the W2K workstation running? Many users found that they had data caching problems with certain hard disk controllers and motherboards, UNTIL the upgraded to SP 2 or even better SP 3.

Also, what OS are you running on the data server? If Novell, you may need to change the default Novell client settings. If WinNT / W2K, you may need to adjust it's OP Lock settings.

Rick

We already installed SP3.

I think what we're going to try now is to have all the w/s use W2K - and see if that eliminates the error. Also, we will all use FPW2.6 instead of a mixture of 2.6 and Visual 6.0

We'll see how it goes in a couple of weeks!

From other threads I've read, the solution is to put the data on a Win2K or WinXP machine.
BIll

Thanks for the tip. We've got it running now on a mini-all W2K workgroup and it seems to be running fine so far.

We'll see how it goes over time

What was the server type? If Novell, I've read where the claim is that IP and IPX don't coexist very well.

Also, any earlier post said if it is a Novell server, make sure the setting to cache shared files is set off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back