Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 98 1 GHz AMD Hangs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deak

Technical User
Nov 9, 2001
US
I have a system problem going on & its being a pain to trouble shoot. I will be working along & then all of a sudden it hangs up & if I hit Ctrl Alt Del it never brings up my window to end task. I loaded Norton utilities on it & I have run multiple little things & nothing major has come up with this & its been able to fix everything it found so far. However when running the defrag/scandisk in norton it tuns along & then all of a sudden I get a msg. "Disk Write Error: Unable to write to Disk in Drive C data or files may be lost Press any key to continue" I brought the computer up in Safe mode & attempted the same thing scandisk Same type msg. I ran Norton Disk Dr it ran thru everything then on the last step the surface test it hung at 20% complete. Again when I hit Ctrl Alt Del at this point it appeared as thought the entire system was hung. At this point I dont know if its the computer or processor. I am leaning towards the processord or possibly controller but cant figure out how to marrow it Down! Scandisk in DOS also appeared to hang at xxx Clusters. Does anyone have any thoughts on this matter Its frustrateing to me & it may be my lack of knowing how to use Norton but I look at the logs & they are not telling me anyhting either. Help Please! FYI 256 of memory

Hi
Check your RAM first.
To help you more please repost with full detail of PC’s hardware and the OS.
Good luck

Sorry More info!

1.0 GHz AMD Athlon
BIOS American Megatrends
256 MB Memory
20 GB Hard drive
M810 Series Socket A Mother Board PC266 System board

It does sound like a heat problem, make sure the[ul][li] hs/fan combo is seated on the CPU (I find it kinda hard to seat sometimes)[/li][li]All case fans are running,[/li][li] PSU fan is also runing.[/li][/ul]
If all is fine there, make sure all updates are in place.
Make sure all cards and memory are seated.

Had this same problem with Abit KT7A mb - problem was bad IDE controller chip - replaced mb and haven't had a problem since.

What is your cooling fan's brand name? how many rpm? your using a thermal compound? I recommend you change your cooling fan. The recommended cooling fan for any AMD user is Global Win or Thermal Take because the Fan's RPM is 7000 RPM & more powerful to cool down the CPU and slower the heat process to prevent overheat. Here's the recommended Global Win's Model:

CAK-II38(Copper type)
CBK-II38(Copper type)
SAK38(Aluminium type)
WBK38-II(Aluminium type)

Visit Global Win's website at
For me is copper type because have better heat transfer.

For Thermal Take model:

Dragon Orb3 Part no.A1135

Visit Thermal Take's website at
The recommended Thermal Grease Compound for any AMD is Arctic Silver because this product is best for heat transfer. To see this instruction go to Artic Silver's website at Choose Arctic Silver 2 or 3 not adhesive type because Artic Silver 2 & 3 have better heat transfer.

My recommended motherboard is ASUS A7V333 Socket A. This motherboard have a new feature C.O.P.(CPU Overheating Protection) to prevent permanent damage your CPU to safely automatic shutdown your PC. If you want to learn about this motherboard go to
Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back