Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

win 95 to win 98?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shedevil1

MIS
Apr 13, 2003
GB
a friend has windows 95, and has tried to upgrade it to win 98, then tried win 98se, win me. Each time it says that win 98 etc upgrade is needed.
Does anyone know how and what upgrade is needed for windos 95 to go to win Me; as this is the prefered system that she wants. Any ideas would be very grateful. Thanks

As on the 95/98 forum. To do an upgrade you need an upgrade CD. There is a difference in the setup files on the upgrade that checks for a valid file before it runs.
And the standard CD has a setup that checks for some files and boots you out with the "upgrade needed" if it finds them.
The upgrades archive the previous version files and give you an escape path back to it if things don't work out.
There is no real problem in doing an original install over the top of an earlier version if you are willing to do a little extra work and put up with the possibility that you'll need to reinstall some programs to get them to run.
Starting point is to rename win.com to something else and try it again.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back