Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 95 Reinstalling Soundcard Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichieL

Technical User
May 23, 2003
US
Help! Please someone. I am not a techie so bear with me. I accidently deleted (at least) two files: vibra16.sys and ctmmsys.sys. Supposedly, my config.sys file is looking for them and can't find them. The meesage says the following file is missing or corrupted and lists these two in the directory C:\vibra16\drv, which also doesn't appear to exist. I think if I could reinstall the files with my Windows 95 CD ROM, I would be OK, except the PC is also not recognizing my D: drive (CD rom drive). I am able to get to DOS, but that is about it..I can't get into Windows. MY a: floppy drive is recognized by the PC as well. Can someone help me to figue out how to get the PC to recognize the CD rom drive, so maybe I can use the Windows 95 disc and reinstall these files? OR is there a way to get the files off the net, put them on a floppy, and get them loaded. Thanks. Rich L.

Best bet....go to and find a win95 or win98 boot disk with cd-rom support.

Then boot up with this and you should be able to gain access to your cd-rom and transfer the files.

Hope this helps..

mot98
[cheers]
"I'd rather be dead and cool..then alive and uncool."
---Harley Davidson & The Marlboro Man

I just did a find file vibra*.* and ctm*.* on a windows 95 cd and came up with nothing - so you may not be successful in finding the files on the win95 cd. If you're not, you can try going to the following site and search for drivers for your sound card.

Another alternative would be to do a google search for the files you are looking for and see if you can find them that way.

As far as the cd is concerned, if you look in device manager, is there a yellow exclamation point over the cd?

I presume you have access to another computer since yours won't boot. If so download a boot disk from bootdisk.com and that should load the CD drivers for you so you can search your Windows disk for the files. Secondly, type in "missing files" in the search box of a search engine such as Yahoo or Google and see if you can find a site from which to download the files. If they relate to Sound you may have to remove the sound cardand establish it's correct name and then go to driverguide to find the files....Dave

while in dos type
edit config.sys
and then put a
REM
in front of the lines that deal with these files, any sound drivers listed in config.sys or autoexec.bat are for dos support only not windows..it shouldnt keep you from booting to windows

Thanks for adding that buckeye. I found some info in regard to the card that may be involved here and I wondered about dos drivers, but I'm not clear enough on distinctions between what's needed for dos and for windows that I wanted to post anything-also with win95 didn't know if they were running some dos stuff too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back