Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 95 Modem error 602 and 630 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

roy456

Technical User
Mar 21, 2001
US
A client has win 95 and installed a modem and sound card. The first modem didn't work, bought a new one which did work. She then installed a sound card which had problems. While re-installing the sound card the modem started having Error 602 (port already open). I checked the IRQ's and none were doubled up. I switched from com 4 to com 2 which solved the 602 error but now 630 pops up modem not turned on. I have taken out both cards and the ram - reinstalled, but am still stuck. Any ideas

If the com port is still in mangler, delete it with modem and sound both out. This is for starters. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Boot to safe mode.
Remove the modem(s) and all com ports from device manger.
Restart, go into BIOS setup.
Disable com 2.
Set "PnP OS..." to NO.
Set "Reset configuration data" enabled.
Restart, reinstall. Cheers,
Jim
reboot@pcmech.com
Moderator at Staff at Windows 9x/ME instructor.
Jim's Modems:

took the words out of my keyboard comtech... Shane
and now for the impressive abbreviations:
DOA, SOL, AWOL, PEBKAC, id10t, FUBAR

Thanks for the tips. The....

Boot to safe mode.
Remove the modem(s) and all com ports from device manger.
Restart, go into BIOS setup.
Disable com 2.
Set "PnP OS..." to NO.
Set "Reset configuration data" enabled.
Restart, reinstall.

....work well. I did not find "PnP OS..." , but it worked with the other instructions

Roy

New problem Error 691,

the modem worked except that if it timed out you can't re-connect unless you reboot the computer. Then I received this from the person with the problem;

Okay, here's the latest. Got on the computer last night. Everything working fine. I let it time out and did a disconnect to see if I could reconnect without a restart. Received the following message.

Dial-Up Networking
The modem is not plugged in or out of service. Connect a modem to your computer and try again. (same message I got the night before)

So, I do a restart. This time it doesn't come back. New error message.

Error 691. The computer you're dialing into cannot establish a Dial-up Networking connection. Check your password, then try again.

So I keep trying a few times - same message. So in the password section, where the asterisks are highlighted, I type my password in again. I continue to get Error 691.

Is there somewhere else I need to reestablish the password, because before I was getting the password encrypted and it had more letters in it than my password really does.

Also, when I took a look at the Troubleshooting section, I came upon a section that seemed to apply, which said to go to Network Properties, then Client for Microsoft, then Properties.

It says "Make sure log on to windows NT domain is listed. if you do not know which domain is correct, contact your network administator."

Then there is a block that was unchecked, which it indicated I was to check, which said:

_____ "Log on to Windows NT Domain"
"When you log on your password will be verified on a Windows NT Domain."

"Windows NT Domain"
_________________(fill this in)

I know I don't have NT so this may not be appropriate. If it is, I don't know what to put under Windows NT Domain.

That's it. I have no clue as to what happened. I sent and received a few e-mails. Everything was working fine until the restart. I made absolutely NO changes. And still no sound.

Any ideas?

Robin

That domain stuff is only for NT, and if you're on a LAN/WAN. It doesn't apply for dial-up (usually).
You should only have 3 things in Networking, the Logon (usually MS Family logon), the adapter/modem, and TCP/IP.
Go to control panel, modems, select properties, and make sure NOTHING is ticked, except TCP/IP.
You do NOT want "log on to domain", or any number of things can happen...You do not want NETBEUI or any other protocall, unless you're on a LAN.
DOUBLE check the DUN settings, specifically primary and secondary DNS numbers. Call your ISP for more on this.
After all this screwing around, things could really be botched, and a complete reinstall may be the way to go. By this I mean the modem, and DUN (not the whole OS).
I would remove ALL protocalls in Networking, remove DUN from Add/Remove programs, windows setup tab, then boot to safe mode, remove the modem(s) and all com ports in device manager, and restart.
Get the modem installed correctly, then just go to Start > Run > and type in: inetwiz
That will make a new connection to your ISP, and reinstall DUN at the same time, so it's all fresh and associated with the right things. Do an advanced install, to correctly enter any DNS numbers and such that your ISP may need.
Log back in using the correct username and password, and you should have no more troubles. Cheers,
Jim
reboot@pcmech.com
Jim's Modems:

roy456, first off, go into your device manager and turn off "Enable DOS box" for the modem. If this is a new modem, there is a problem with windows setting it up on it's own to work in DOS, which would explain why you can only connect once. What is happening is since it is setting it up for DOS use also, it is blocking the modem from working after each initial use. Common for software driven modems, which 99% are now.

Bring up your network settings. All ISP should now be configured using DHCP, if not, it's a substandard ISP for a dial-up connect. Here is how your TCP/IP stack should be configured under Network properties.

Primary logon: Windows
Highlight TCP/IP Dial-up adapter and click properties.
I'll just list the tab and the settings.
IP ADDRESS - Obtain Automatically
WINS Resolution - Use DHCP
Gateway - blank
DNS - Disable DNS
Bindings - blank
Advanced - allow bindings to ATM value NO (set default)
NetBIOS - Not needed

Now this is for a dial-up, these won't work with say a cable modem or DSL.

Another trick, if you still have problems with the modem not working more than once then uninstall the drivers, reinstall the drivers. Tell it not to use DOS boxes. THEN go into Hyperterminal and dial the MCI mail connection 2 times, then reboot.

Ciao.

Scott

Oh yeah, one more thing. You DUN TCP/IP specific settings. At this point, go ahead and uninstall/reinstall DUN (Dial-Up Networking) with add/remove programs. Once you have done that right click on the Dial-up icon and click on servers. In servers disable software compression. This can cause failed connects or increase network response times. The network tries 50some different compression algorithms which are all most a sure fail, so it doesn't use it in the end anyway. So just disable that.

Disable NetBEUI and IPX/SPX too.

That will round out all the correct settings for an ISP unless they do set-up with some DNS entries, which IS rare anymore.

Ciao

Scott

I gave the person with the problem Comtech's advise and got this response.

Thank you all for your responses

Roy

Followed the instructions and here I am! Simply Amazing!

The only thing I'd like to change is every time the username and password window come up, I need to insert my password, which I need to do in the 15 digit combination of letters that mean absolutely nothing to me and I will never remember unless I have it in front of me.
The option to check "remember password" is shaded out. Is there someplace I can set this? If I could insert my real password as opposed to the encrypted version, it wouldn't be so bad. Any suggestions?
Still no sound, but I'm thrilled to have made it this far. Any suggestions on that end?
Thanks again for all your help - I really appreciate it!

Robin

For the password, just delete all *.pwl files on your computer, then you should get asked again for it, and the option to save it should remain.

For the sound: Boot to safe mode, remove all sound card(s) and game ports from the device manager.
Remove anything in autoexec.bat and config.sys that refer to sound cards and CD-ROM interfaces.
Restart, and hopefully reinstall correctly.
If windows does not pick up the card, and install/ask for drivers, you may need to run the hardware wizard from control panel to see if it's picked up that way.
If it installs, and you end up with a conflict, DISABLE the Legacy Audio drivers. They're only needed for DOS applications anyhow.
Let us know. Cheers,
Jim
reboot@pcmech.com
Jim's Modems:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back