Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WIN 95 boot up problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunny74

MIS
Sep 7, 2002
GB
Hi all, wanted to clear my hard drive so ran format in MS-DOS. About 10 secs later, it asked me to restart pc. It then booted up as normal, detecting mouse, keyboard etc, but when it got to the OS load in progress, it asks me for "insert bootable media in the appropriate drive." Silly me didnt have a boot disk, so got one off the net but it just says, "non system disk or disk error". I cant get past this stage now. Not even sure if i have cleared the hard drive either. Ran F1 and F8 but to no avail. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Tried that already. Still comes up with the same message. I'm at my wits end! Surely I could not have cleared my hard drive in 10 secs, even if its only about 1.5Gb!

Make sure that the floppy is listed as the first boot device in your bios. Then you should be able to boot with the floppy and format as you want.

Hi again, well, managed to get the boot disk to work but it now doesnt seem to run the WIN95 cd. It seems to recognise the cd drive but just prompts with A:\>. Anyone have any ideas what to do now. I'm so close! Thanks

Does the boot disk load cdrom support? if it does then you just to change to the appropitate drive letter and run setup. if it doesnt load cdrom support then you will need to get the proper drivers. what i found works best if you not loading 95a which might be still possible is to get a 98 startup disk that has cdrom support which will also format the drive as a fat32 instead of a fat16 and then switch to the drive letter for your cdrom and run setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back