Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 7 "spy" update 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 10, 2003
US
Well, looks like Microsoft wasn't content to wait for all of us to get on Windows 10 and has downloaded "spy" programs as part of updates for Windows 7 and 8.

==================================
adaptive uber info galaxies (bigger, better, faster, and more adept than agile innovative cognitive big data clouds)

I beat you for the first paranoid post about this. Link

There is no reason to believe that this is a spy operation that Microsoft is engaging in on behalf of the government, inserting a tattling backdoor into our computers. Until someone can sniff out the traffic that is being generated/sent, I have to have some faith that this is benign if somewhat annoying that there is not a simple ON/OFF switch.

That last part I CAN blame Microsoft for and would complain about.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

It is a spy. And it was placed on my system without my knowledge. Oh wait, I guess I did approve when I agreed to the EULA that all those Microsoft groupies say is so harmless. See also this thread thread656-1753848 and SamBones comment about the potential criminality of it.

adaptive uber info galaxies (bigger, better, faster, and more adept than agile innovative cognitive big data clouds)

To me, you are way too bent out of shape about this UNTIL the type of data that is being sent is fully analyzed. But I have read that it is sent via HTTPS so that is not straightforward. And so that would be something that you would point to as added "proof" of bad intent.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe the government has paid Microsoft to include this little tattletale.

Well, you're right about one thing. It will have to be discovered, because neither MS or Feds will tell us. Any if they deny it, and why wouldn't they, it would still need to be verified. And the Feds may not have "paid" in the literal sense, but threatening to move the Fed govt off MS Office would be enough incentive for M$ to capitulate.

>threatening to move the Fed govt off MS Office would be enough incentive for M$ to capitulate.

Perhaps you'd like to think that argument through.

I think maybe TOO MUCH THINKING is taking place. You know, you can think yourself into a hole if you just keep on doing it. As in, "too much of a good thing is still too much".

Microsoft could threaten back:
"Oh yeah, well we'll not offer paid updates any more for your precious Windows XP that you refuse to stop using."

And coming full circle.....spy program updates were not downloaded to Windows XP. Wow, the government sure got lucky with that decision to stick with Windows XP, didn't it?

I blame the chemtrails and those people deliberately suppressing cancer cures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back