Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

win 7 print spool service continues to go down

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmcc

IS-IT--Management
Jul 27, 2005
US
Hello,

I have been working this problem for over a week now with no success. The problem persists.

There are 3 printers that are used from this PC: an HP 3005dn, a canon iR9070 and a Ricoh Aficio 700 with a Fiery network interface.
They are all currently configured as network printers.

In this work environment, the canon driver for windows 7 works fine on every other win 7 machine as does the Fiery driver for the Ricoh.
The HP 3005dn is a question mark at this point. It is currently configured as a network printer BUT when I had to move this PC to a different work location, I first attempted to install it via a USB cable and worse, I had the cable connected before being prompted for it to be connected. The spooler has been very unstable since then.

I don't really know what is causing it. It may have nothing to do with this printer (but I strongly suspect it does have something to do with it).

The event viewer shows that the spooler service exits unexpectedly but no real cause is given (i guess that's what unexpected is).

I tried to do a system restore to a date prior to the configuration of this printer and, at first, I thought that it was more stable, it was for a time, but not now.

A few days ago, I uninstalled the 3 printers and the drivers and the driver packages relating to them and re-installed the canon printer. The spooler seemed to be stable in that configuration. It did not seem to go down with just the one printer installed. Yesterday I added the Ricoh printer (which works everywhere else and I do not think would cause a problem) and then the HP 3005. The problems then started. The driver I used for the HP was the Universal PCL 6 driver for Windows 7 taken from the HP website. I think that the driver is probably ok, but there is something in the system that is causing print spool havoc.

Another WEIRD think that I see in the event logs:
There are 3 types of errors that are occurring over and over. Something like:

"Driver send to HP 1022n Driver required to send to HP 1022 is unknown...
Contact the administrator to install the driver before you log in again"

The SAME type of message for the HP CM1312 printer.
The SAME type of message for One Note 2007.

I don't have either of those 2 hp printers configured and I don't think that I ever did. For One Note 2007: I don't know what is being complained about.

Is there anyway that I can remove all references to any print devices for this PC without reinstalling the OS from scratch?

How can I make the Print Spool service stable again?

Pardon by ramble about this problem, I feel very frustrated about it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you for reading this far.

-mmcc

Have a look at this XP related post, and in particular the comments by Bcastner. They may give you a few ideas to consider.

Stopping of the Print Spooler
thread779-686557

Hi,

The print spool service now seems to be more stabilized than it had been in my first post. That is because I removed the driver for the LaserJet 3005dn printer. BUT I need to get the HP3005 working from this PC... that is the problem!

There are 2 network printers currently configured and printing to either one does not cause the print spooler to go down.
They are a canon iR9070 and a ricoh affici0 700. The location of these 2 are 1 building and 5 floors away from the office where the PC that is having the spool problem is located.
But the local printer to the PC, in the same room, is the LaserJet 3005 and every time I try to use it on THIS PC, the spooler goes down.

HOWEVER, I have used the same HP driver on a laptop that I have put in that room temporarily and on IT the spooler does not go down.

What might be the reason for that?

The OS of the PC is Windows 7 and for that OS
the Hp drivers download page three drivers are listed:

1. HP Universal Print Driver for Windows PCL6.
2. HP Universal Print Driver for Windows PCL5.
3. HP Universal Print driver Post Script.

I have tried the first one only. Any fair expectation of success in trying any of the others?

Also, I have noticed the following in the event viewer log:

Driver HP Color LaserJet CM1312 MFP Series PCL 6 required for printer IEOR Color LaserJet2 CM1312 MFP Series PCL 6 is unknown. Contact the administrator to install the driver before you log in again.

Faulting application name: PrintIsolationHost.exe, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bcebc
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16559, time stamp: 0x4ba9b21e
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x000c2913
Faulting process id: 0xc4c
Faulting application start time: 0x01cb79e1270afbc8
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\system32\PrintIsolationHost.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

What to do about these/ Could they be related to the problem i tried to describe above?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-mmcc

Silly question, but did you download the correct driver for your OS? If your system is 64-bit then you need to d/l the driver for 64-bit driver for Windows 7. If 32-bit then you need to d/l the 32-bit driver for Windows 7.

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read Tek-Tips posting polices before posting.
Canadian members check out Tek-Tips in Canada for socializing, networking, and anything non-technical.

Hi,

It is a 32 bit machines and I have loaded a 32 driver.

Does anyone have any suggestion concerning WHICH 32 bit driver to use?

The first one, PCL6 did not work for me on this particular machine.

1. HP Universal Print Driver for Windows PCL6.
2. HP Universal Print Driver for Windows PCL5.
3. HP Universal Print driver Post Script.

Thanks.

I'd try each driver until I found one that works, tha's what I have done in the past.

About your phantom printers, I would look a someone's laptop. They may have one of those printers at home and when they connect to your lan the print spooler tries to accomodate their needs.

Just a thought as it has happened to me also.

David.

hi all,

Thank you to everyone who posted an answer to this problem.

The spooler service crashing had caused me a fair amount of grief over about a 2 week period.

The last thing that I had tried and what seems to have worked is that I installed the HP Windows 7 Universal Driver for PS that from HP's website. This worked for the Laserjet 3005dn printer.

DTracy: you were correct.

Thanks!

-mmcc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back