Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 7 networking issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

rastaIT34

Technical User
Sep 9, 2009
US
I'll try to make this simple and quick to the point...

3 computers.

SETUP:
> 2 Win 7 ultimate computers Ethernet connected to router.
> 1 Acer Wireless Win 7 Home Premium laptop.

All computers are on home network, each have a hard drive that is shared with full control permission. The 2 win 7 ultimate computers have no problem seeing each other and logging in to each other.

PROBLEM:
Win 7 Laptop can see both Win 7 Ultimate machines on the network and can even log in to them with a user/pass. Win 7 laptop is connected to the router and can access the internet. But both Win 7 ultimate machines doesn't see the wireless Win 7 laptop. It doesn't see the folder / hard drive that is shared.

Any thoughts why?

Artist/Designer

For future reference, there is a Windows 7 forum where topics like this are a better fit, but I'll take a stab...

First, check your network's configuration on the laptop. Make sure the wireless network has been identified as a "home" network and not "public" (the latter will automatically disable a lot of sharing features including the ability to be pinged). Aside from going into your firewall settings and manually modifying rules, I suggest you setup a homegroup and join all three to that. A work PC that is joined to the domain, however, may not show this option. Also, you can try \\computername\c$ or \\IPaddress\c$ from one of the Win7 Ultimate computers assuming the laptop can be seen at all.

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

That's good troubleshooting, but make sure the network types NOT set to PUBLIC on any of the devices.

"open the network and sharing center, under the name of your network connection it should say public network, click it, and you should be able to alter it to whatever you want."

Should be set as HOME for your setup.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

i don't understand.....i didn't do ANYTHING and now its showing up ......

Artist/Designer

That's 7.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

i thought 7 was more stable than 8 thats why i didnt upgrade....

Artist/Designer

I would NEVER say that Windows 7 was flaky.

I've run across this same issue with 7 machines, moreso with XP in the mix, and one group of machines with problems acquiring IP address via DHCP. Without the networking every customer using 7 seems happy with it. So far I'm using my couple of machines as testbeds for some future projects for customers.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Hmm. I guess I just don't see any real networking issues with Windows 7 with my computers or most customers.

moreso with XP in the mix
This I would agree with for sure.

rastaIT34,

There are lots of reasons why that can happen. Since the laptop is on wireless, one possiblity is that the IP address of the laptop changed (assuming your network is using DHCP). When that happens, it can take a while for the DNS cache on the other Win 7 workstations to reset. There are other explanations as well. I suggest you try to join them to a homegroup if you continue to have issues.

Or change from DHCP to a static non public routing IP for the 3 machines

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back