Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 7 Devices getting updates not approved in WSUS

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevets2001uk

IS-IT--Management
Jun 26, 2002
GB
We have a WSUS server setup locally where all devices are directed for Critical updates. This is set via GPO. Recently we noticed that the Win 7 devices we checked were also getting many smaller Windows, Office, .NET updates and security updates (found by reviewing the installed updates list). However when we checked in WSUS most of these were not approved, yet showing as installed.

We reviewed the Windows Update Log and while I'm no expert it didn't appear that these extra updates were being logged. I checked a given date were we had had over 20 installs and the log showed none have been found as required and appeared to be correctly checking with WSUS.

Therefore we're now stumped as to how these are being applied. It's as if the clients are also checking and downloading from MS but I would have expected to see this in the Windows Update log.

Has anyone else seen similar or can suggest how we find out where these are coming from and prevent it? We only want the approved WSUS updates to be applied. End users report that this is installing in the normal manor via Windows Update.

Steve G (MCSE / MCSA:Messaging)

Thanks for the reply. However that link and it's registry entries appeared to relate to the server not the client registry settings. On the client I have checked the registry also and see for WUServer it is set with our internal WSUS server as is the WUStatusServer setting. I can confirm that the clients are indeed reporting to the server. It's the additional minor updates which are the mystery.

Steve G (MCSE / MCSA:Messaging)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back