Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

win 2k + vpn + printer sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

bugz1

Technical User
May 22, 2003
CA
Hi, I am running windows 2k pro on my computer which has some shared directories and a shared printer. I am connecting via vpn into my company and getting a connection fine. They can ping, browse my shared directories but as soon as they try and connect to my printer (which they can see when they do \\mycomputername) it gives this error message:
"Could not connect to the printer. You either entered a printer name that was incorrect or the specified printer is no longer connected ot hte server." Now i have checked the premissions and ive given everyone full access to the printer (manage and print) and the error message is comming back almost right away. I have reinstalled the printer and changed the shared name for the printeras well (which they can see on the other side) but they cant connect. The office trying to connect to my computer is a windows 2k (and we have tried a win xp pro box to).

anyway any suggestions would be great.

tks
Justin

Have you tried connecting to the IP name of the computer it's on instead of the computer name? There is probably some DNS issue, and it can't find the name.

del the printer and re-add something like this.
\\192.x.x.x\printername
hope that helps.

~Shmoes

I lay claim to nothing and everything. My words may be wisdom or disaster. In the end you make a choice. Noone is perfect.

yeah sorry i forgot to mention that, we are using ip addresses to get to the computer

like i can see the shares fine and do whatever but its just getting to the printer that is the problem. i have tried also adding a printer and specifying the \\path\toprinter but that didnt work either

i got the same error before when i didn't type in the printer name correctly. are you sure your user are putting the right name?

\\yourpcip\yourprintername

yah ive double checked it and also changed the printer share name and he sees it change on his end but when he tries to connect to it by right clicking on it and connect it gives that error
so there could be no typeing error as its all done in windows explorer

Sounds to me like a DNS problem. When using the ping command are you using the computer name or IP address

You may to search for the host file and add each computer name and corresponding IP address to each file on each computer. Adding the same information to lmhost may help to.

You can also try typing nslookup in command prompt to see if you have a dns server

As a last resort try ipconfig /flushdns to clear out all dns information this will get rid of any obsolute information.

Once you've cleared out the dns then type ipconfig /registerdns to refresh the dns information

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back