Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 2K tape restore problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

renne

Technical User
May 17, 2002
US
I have a PL 1600 which has an HP1533A tape drive. I'm having problems with restore on multiple disk sets - no problem with data backed up on only one disk. I understand that Win 2k backup/restore utility has a reported problem with restoring multiple disks, but they report this was solved with service pack 3, which I am already using. I'm currently evaluating 3rd party backup software, which is the path of least resistance at this point. So that problem is, at least, potentially solved (we'll see), but I would appreciate any confirming posts regarding this problem.

The remaining question I have is why does my tape drive show up on the Windows Explorer list as a letter drive? This is curious to me, but I have little experience with streaming tape drives. It is indentified correctly in Device Mgr.

Thanks for any opinions.

Renne

I've run into a number of issues in the past using W2k's built-in backup software, which is why I stopped using it.

As for it showing up as a drive letter, I haven't run into that issue before. Now I haven't tried it with SP3, so unless they are trying to provide a "drag and drop" backup solution like they have in XP, I'm not certain why you'd have a drive letter unless your drivers are not quite accurate.

I resolved my problem with the 3rd party backup software (BackupMyPC from Stomp, which is apparently a former Veritas product - their "desktop" version of their backup software). It's pretty good and it sure works better than backupnt.exe! There is an interesting thread on the HP/Compaq forum that addresses this issue:
Regards,

Renne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back