Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

win 2k prof 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeBeau

IS-IT--Management
Jul 23, 2002
US
Hi all:
How can I network two PC using both win 2k prof?
Help

Unless you have a network hub, you will need a cross over network cable.

Install TCP-IP on each PC.

Add each PC to a workgroup that is the same.

Give each PC a static IP address.

You may help things by adding a host file with each of the IP addresses to the \\%systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc directory.

Hope this helps.

If u want to connect the only 2 PCs, then do the following things.

1. Get a UTP cable of req. length and two RJ45 connectors
2. Prepare a cross over cable using them.
- Of the 8 slots in the RJ45 connector u need to use only 4 of them ie 1,2,3,and 6
- now the connection is 1-3 and 2-6 ie if u use white on the slot 1 and on the other side u use the same white for slot 3 and same for 2-6.
3. Just plug in the cross over cable to the eth adapters of both the pcs.
4. Give static IP to each PC and name the PC and the workgroup.(network places-properties, loca area connection, my computer properties)
5. ping the ip from one of the pc and verify the connectivity

6. Then proceed with accessing a share from one pc to another.

Hope this would be a solution.
Tom

Thanx all but here is what i have:
i have a hub, both pc running win 2k. i can share internet on both but they can not talk to each other.
they are on the same workgroup and all.
all seems to be ok, but i just can't ping either one!
thanks

Can you post the IP addresses and Subnet masks of the 2 machines.

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

You need to manually set the IP addresses so they are both in the same subnet, etc., otherwise the systems will automatically assign IP values which does not let the other system see it. If you are sharing the Internet, only do it on one system, and then point gateway on the other system to the IP of the host you have set up.

On each system, go to "run", "CMD", and then in the command window run "ipconfig /all" to display exactly how each system is currently configured. If the IP addresses are in the same range, but the subnet masks are different, then they will not see each other.

Once you have the current IP address of each system, and have one system pointed to the other, then you should be able to ping using the IP address, not the system name. To use the name to ping you may have to set up the lmhost tables on both system so they can resolve the names to IP addresses (AND :), the IP addresses MUST be manually set on both systems so they do not change!).

HTH
David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back