Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 2k IIS 5.0 question about .EXEs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shocker838

IS-IT--Management
Feb 18, 2001
US
Hello,

I am running windows 2000, with SP 2, and just about every patch you can think of. I have a website hosted with IIS 5.0 and i have some executables to display some HTML. Like for example, in C++ :

blah
blah

cout << &quot;<html>Test</html>&quot; << endl;

ok, well i have done this before on this server and it has worked and displayed &quot;Test&quot; , but now when i put this Test.exe, or any other exe for that matter in any folder in the web root, i get &quot;page can not be found&quot; when i type in like &quot; for example...it is so weird...it just doesnt see the EXE...am i getting an error and it says its not there, but theres some syntax or permission error? i must have check everything by now...i have no clue whats wrong...could it be a virus??

the odd thing is...if i make test.exe the default file for the folder and type in &quot; it works...but any reference to test.exe will cause page can not be found..like if theres some cases structs to the code or something...its is soo weird..any help would be appreciated and if u need clarification, please ask. Thanks! &quot;Less work more network&quot; (HP) -- its so catchy

Many web hosting services, since the code blue virus, have disabled the permissions for any file with a .exe extension to be initiated from the client side. You may want to check with them about it. The only solution some of them are offering is to make the file available to be downloaded in .zip form. Hope this helps.

You can also try renaming the .exe to test.com, and see if that works.

Just a guess - and that only takes into account the patch stripping only .exe's.
Pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

thanks for the tips...i tried the .com, but it didnt have any effect..but is there a patch for the blue code worm? &quot;Less work more network&quot; (HP) -- its so catchy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back