Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 2K hangs at Startup screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkuti

IS-IT--Management
Jan 10, 2003
KE
Hi,
My PC is running on Win 2K professional. It doesn't boot beyond the startup screen and hangs there. Can someone help me out?
Thanks

Sounds like it is trying to boot a hardware device and just locks up. Try unplugging all devices from the motherboard and the try to boot one at a time. IE: HD without the A: and CD-rom. If it boots then add one other hardware device till you locate the faulty part. I have also seen the cause of this issue to be processor related. Memory errors usually present a bsod. Good luck on your troubleshooting.

Cliff, CCNA/MCSE/MCSA 2000
Network Systems Engineer

Check your memory modules, Ive seen computers hang before when a memory stick has been faulty.

I have seen similar issues with Win2k. Where is it hanging at? Win2k has been known to hang when it is trying to detect you network settings so you might want to make sure that they are configured correctly. If this is a new install and you haven't actually logged on before you more than likely have a conflict with hardware or the OS is trying to configure a piece of hardware that isn't on the HCL.

pkuti - any more background? (presume it hasn't always done this - so what happened between it last working and not?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back