Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 2k DNS problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

ppabel1

Technical User
Jul 19, 2002
Hi,

I have a small network using a single domain controller.

i have internet access via an ADSL Router attached to the network.

Obviously the Router is running DNS. Do i need to have DNS running on the server as well. If so should the forward look up zone point to the address of the router or what??

I am getting very confused.

Many thanks

Paul

Configure the DNS on the server and if the Workstations are fixed IP tell them to Query the server

If you intend on using DHCP again configure the Scope Options to have the Server as DNS so the workstations get this information.

In the servers Local Area Connection Properties>TCP/IP tell it that its DNS server is itself.

And finally configure the Forwarder in the Servers DNS to the IP address of the Router.

In this configuration the Server will answer internal queries from Workstations (such as Name Resolution) anything else (like Websites e.t.c.) will be passed to your Router, which will then probably query your ISP and Cache the reply.

Do you need to help on DHCP?

we dont run DHCP. and we dont need to resolve any internal addresses because we dont have an intranet running or anything like that.

So, i guess all that needs to be done is that the ip address of the router needs to be put into a forward look up zone. is this correct??

If so do you have any idea how to do this or can point me in the right direction.

Cheers

Your machines are constantly querying IP addresses and names completely transparently to yourselves and as such need your server specified as Prefered DNS server in their TCP/IP settings.

If not then each time they try to resolve an Internal Address (and again they do this a LOT!) they will forward it striaght to your Router which probably won't know the answer and then forward it to your ISP.

This is why people post here saying why is my Line Bill? so high or why does my Router dialup so often?

If you run a half decent Packet Sniffing program like Ethereal or what ever you will see name resolution queries in TCP/IP packets being banded around all over the place normally.

In the DNS Snapin, go to the properties of the Server and go to Forwarders and 'enable forwarders' and specify the IP of your Router (if you are using Win2k)

Forgot to mention this, if you are on a Win2k Active Directory network then you WILL need DNS.

If this is an NT4 Domain then you will probably get away without having a DNS Server setup, might as well setup WINS instead as you are still going to need name resolution.

Paul,

I had a setup like yours at home, you do need DNS running on the W2K server if you have active directory installed so that the PCs can login.

But, let the DSL router handle your DHCP requests and it should give your PCs the correct information on how to access the internet.

You do not really need DNS to resolve names in a small LAN as NETBios handles that far more effencetly and is installed with TCP/IP on all Windows 2000 machines.

So, if you are running AD, then yes, you need DNS, if not there is no need for it; you do not need forwarders unless you have setup your LAN machines to get their DNS information from your W2K server, then you will have to forward out to your ISP's DNS servers (WHICH WILL CHANGE OVER TIME!!!!)

So, as long as your DSL router is handling the DHCP requests and giving out the DNS servers for your ISP your systems will have no problem getting to the resources on the internet and accessing your resources on the LAN.

No need for forwarders, because your machines will not actualy use the W2K DNS. It worked fine in my house, it should work fine for you as well.

Or, you can setup DHCP on the server and use it to give out the DNS server address for your local LAN and the DNS servers for your ISP and again you will not need forwarders on your W2K DNS (although you can always use them :) CJ

Don't drink and post, save that for driving home!

I use static ip addresses.

Maybe i am missing the point. But i installed DNS. I didnt create forward or reverse lookup zones. I entered the ip address of the router and enabled forwarding.

Why does this not work??

What are you trying to accomplish?

There is no need for your local PCs to use the W2K DNS, just use the outside DNS servers for them.

There is no need to run DNS on the W2K server unless you want to setup Active Directory. Then you will have to setup DNS, but there is no reason why the PCs have to use that DNS server when they can just access the internet DNS servers directly.

Go into your TCP/IP settings, enter the DNS address of the servers from your ISP, then if you install DNS on your W2K server just add that into the list as well (if you want, it is not required).

The reason i want to setup DNS on the server is to allow clients using win xp machines to log in faster.

Can anyone tell me how to do this.

I am finding that having the clients pointing to the router takes ages for them to log in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back