Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 2K DHCP.. Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeteB2002

Programmer
Aug 10, 2002
GB
We have a DSL router which has an integral DHCP server (which cannot be disabled!) as it is supplied by our Broadband supplier.

So, when I attempt to install Win2K server, it says that it isn't the only server on the network.

I can assign it a static ip from the pool of addresses reserved by the router for static allocation. But what other problems will I run into , ie DNS?

We have a similar situation. Our firewall has DHCP enabled, so I dissabled DHCP on the server. Our ISP has the DNS server so we point to that for DNS. Check with your broadband supplier for DNS service. Hope this helps

Josephm,
Thanks, does that mean you have also disabled DNS on WIn2K Server, even though you have Active Directory?
Also, I assume your domain name is with your ISP, as is ours, so what did you call your Domain?

What are these servers going to be doing. If there supplying things like dhcp, dns or wins, you'll want them to have fixed IP's. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[yinyang]
"A single stone can cause a building to collapse."
Francisco de Quevedo y Villegas (1580-1645); Spanish writer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back