Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

win 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgam

Technical User
Jun 16, 2003
IE
Hi,i recently installed win2000 on a harddrive that has had win95 on it.I did not format the drive before the win2000 installation,this has left me with a windows folder on the drive that takes up a lot of disk space.I know i should have formatted the drive first , but is there any way of deleting this windows folder without having to do an re-installation?It won't delete when i try to do so - would this be because i've installed an up to date sevicepack?
Regards
Mark

Firstly, did you upgrade or do a "clean" install of 2000?

If you upgraded, then 2000 is in the "windows" folder which means that you can't (and don't want to) delete it.

If you did a clean install (2000 in "winnt" folder), you should be able to boot to 2000, and delete the old 95 "windows" folder from there.

If you still can't delete the folder, you will need a "Windows 98 boot disk" (download from here then run the file. It will automatically make the bootable floppy).

Boot to DOS using the Windows 98 boot disk, then run the following commands:

attrib -s -h -r c:\windows\*.*
deltree c:\windows

This should delete the windows folder and all it's contents.

Cheers,
Scruff.

Be good. If you can't, don't get caught!

Another issue you have is you are still using a fat file system and a 2 gig size limit. Use the convert command to convert from fat to NTFS, one way only, And use Partition Magic to increase the size of the partition.

thanks for your reply.it was an upgrade i carried out.So looks like i'll have to do a clean re-install.Thanks for advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back