Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 2000/W9* profile issues 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faz10

MIS
Sep 27, 2001
GB
We've got a network running on NT4, and have just rolled out a couple of 2000 machines (we're moving onto W2K v. soon), and it seems to have banjoed the profiles. Unfortunately the users have been jumping from Win2K to 98 machines to 95, oh and there's an NT machine in there too.

Now they've completely lost their roaming profile - they just get a message saying it can't be downloaded, no matter which machine they're trying to log onto. I'm assuming that because the profile for 2K is of a different structure that this has caused the problem - has anybody any tips on a suitable fix and/or workaround????

A possible workaround is to create a new user.
The user's first logon must be on a Win2000 machine.

Thanks - do you mean create a new user or setup within Control Panel/Users in Win2K?

Unfortunately Win2K decides to copy over permissions to Win98 as well - meaning that when one of my punters tried to log onto a Win2k machine that he wasn't setup as a user for, he then found he couldn't setup a printer on his machine when he returned to his usual W98 machine. I managed to resolve that by removing the profile from the local machine and then stripping out his profile on the server, but it's going to recur I would guess.

Anybody got any ideas?

If a new user with roaming profiles is created at
the domain server, and the first logon is performed
on a Win2000 computer, maybe the profile will not be
destroyed by a switching between logons at WinNT and
Win2000.

Cheers mate. Alas - this doesn't seem to be the case. I've got two users who were both initially logged onto Win2K and they've contacted me with similiar problems.

The only thing I can think to do is to just disable roaming profiles.

Woold you try to delete ntuser.dat and ntuser.dat.log
for one of the users(?). Next, logon from a Win2000
machine. Then logout, and try to logon from NT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back