Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 2000 SP 3 produces VShield error in IE6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Basel

Technical User
Sep 20, 2002
CA
I've installed and removed win 2000 SP 3 3 times now. Each time the SP installs OK but when I open the browser I get a dialog: "VirusScan: Virus Data Files are missing. Unable to scan downloaded file", the browser works for a bit and then crashes. When you close the crash dialog, a new browser window opens and then you can surf. I've tried to find reference to this at the McAfee and Microsoft sites, have tried to get support (forget that..). I have found one single thread describing this problem in Germany in connection with XP Home edition (result of a Google search) but no response. The strange thing is that while you have IE 6 open and want to copy something from a website (Ctrl + C) and then paste it into a document, (Ctrl + V) the error thread from the error dialog pastes, nothing else. So the clip board is involved somehow. I can't work around this, have reinstalled McAfee antivirus, but it didn't work. Is there a fix? As a webmaster I can't work with this kind of error in my browser. BTW this doesn't happen with Netscape...::)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back