Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 2000 Server - appear to have lost admin rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

tanuki3

Technical User
Dec 5, 2001
US
Long story - and I no doubt have some of the technical details wrong.

Our entire system went down because of a blackout. This corrupted the LAT file (which I later reconstruced) and also had the consequence of reassigning each machine on the domain a new IP address. The three win2000 machines automatically reconfigured themselves to work with files on the server. I am having trouble however with the lone win98 machine. In order to put that on the network (as I recall) I need to create an account for it on the server side. However, when I try anything in the Server Management Console, I get the error message "Access rights to create and delete computer objects are required to run the set up computer wizard" or something similar depending on what I try to do. I can actually ping the Win98 machine from the server (but not vice-versa), but I cannot log-on from the win98 machine even with another users account.

I have been able to get these rights on the server when I have added the servers old IP address in various parts of the MMC, so I am guessing that the new IP addresses have rendered my server nothing more than a client on the "new" network (with the same domain name however). How do I get my server back to being an administrator? I have looked through everything in the Management Console and ISA Console and can't find a thing that can help me restore this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated since I have been tinkering with this for 2 months with no success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back