Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 2000 Prof. install 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmperry

Programmer
Jan 31, 2003
US
I Installed Windows 2000 upgrade professional over Windows NT. Everything worked fine for about 5 days. All of the sudden I get a inaccessible boot device error. I wanted to try and reinstall Windows, but I cant get the machine to boot off the CD drive. I took out the hard drive and reinstalled Windows with another machine. Put the hard drive back in, and same problem. Now I’m at my wits end....cant figure out what to do....any suggestions?

Put it back to the second computer. RUn sysprep utility (you can find it on windows 2000 CD or can download it from the internet).
After you run sysprep, Take the hard drive out, and plug it into the original computer...turn it on, and hopefully it will work. A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

"I just know that I know nothing"
Socrates (469-399 B.C.E.)

Well, the inaccesible boot device error gives you an idea that the HArd drive might have a problem.
The second, of installing on a different computer and put it back. Is not working probably because of the SIDs. SID are security identifiers of almost everything in the computer. Once you install the OS in one computer it gathers information and assigns security identifiers to computer, users, etc. You need to remove those SIDs, fomr the OS, in order to move the hard drive and boot from a different computer. Otherwise the SIDs will conflict.
To remove the SIDs you need to use SYSPREP, a piece of software from microsoft. A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

>Is not working probably because of the SIDs. SID are >security identifiers of almost everything in the computer. >Once you install the OS in one computer it gathers >information and assigns security identifiers to computer, >users, etc. You need to remove those SIDs, fomr the OS, in >order to move the hard drive and boot from a different >computer. Otherwise the SIDs will conflict.
>To remove the SIDs you need to use SYSPREP, a piece of >software from microsoft.

Sids have got nothing to do with it. It isn't working because the mass controller devices on the two systems are different. Sysprep would work because it has the ability to boot windows using all the common IDE or SCSI MCDs.

SIDs are indeed about security but only need to be removed if you are imaging to multiple machines (where on a network the SIDs would conflict)- if you are moving one harddrive to another SIDs can be left in place.

Ash.

jimmperry,

If you want to use SYSPREP you'll need to download it from Microsoft - don't use the version on your Windows CD it won't do what you want.

For it to work your sysprep.inf file will need this at the bottom (if your using IDE controllers)

[SysprepMassStorage]
PCMCIA\*PNP0600=%systemroot%\inf\mshdc.inf
PCMCIA\KME-KXLC005-A99E=%systemroot%\inf\mshdc.inf
PCMCIA\_-NinjaATA--3768=%systemroot%\inf\mshdc.inf
PCMCIA\FUJITSU-IDE-PC_CARD-DDF2=%systemroot%\inf\mshdc.inf
*AZT0502=%systemroot%\inf\mshdc.inf
PCI\CC_0101=%systemroot%\inf\mshdc.inf
PCI\VEN_10B9&DEV_5215=%systemroot%\inf\mshdc.inf
PCI\VEN_10B9&DEV_5219=%systemroot%\inf\mshdc.inf
PCI\VEN_10B9&DEV_5229=%systemroot%\inf\mshdc.inf
PCI\VEN_1097&DEV_0038=%systemroot%\inf\mshdc.inf
PCI\VEN_1095&DEV_0640=%systemroot%\inf\mshdc.inf
PCI\VEN_1095&DEV_0646=%systemroot%\inf\mshdc.inf
PCI\VEN_0E11&DEV_AE33=%systemroot%\inf\mshdc.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1222=%systemroot%\inf\mshdc.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1230=%systemroot%\inf\mshdc.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_7010=%systemroot%\inf\mshdc.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_7111=%systemroot%\inf\mshdc.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2411=%systemroot%\inf\mshdc.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2421=%systemroot%\inf\mshdc.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_7199=%systemroot%\inf\mshdc.inf
PCI\VEN_1042&DEV_1000=%systemroot%\inf\mshdc.inf
PCI\VEN_1039&DEV_0601=%systemroot%\inf\mshdc.inf
PCI\VEN_1039&DEV_5513=%systemroot%\inf\mshdc.inf
PCI\VEN_10AD&DEV_0001=%systemroot%\inf\mshdc.inf
PCI\VEN_10AD&DEV_0150=%systemroot%\inf\mshdc.inf
PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_4D33=%systemroot%\inf\mshdc.inf
PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_0571=%systemroot%\inf\mshdc.inf

If you didn't want to use SYSPREP you could alway reinstall W2k on the original machines - make bootdisks if you can't use the CD. (in the BOOTDISK directory on the w2k CD).

Ash.

that's right..I had ghosting in my mind while is not the case, but I have also found sysprep to fix sometime those situations. A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back