Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

win 2000 pro under NTFS,FAT,FAT32??????????please help 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

acerabc

Technical User
Jan 2, 2003
CA
Hi all,i just re-installed win 2000 pro on my notebook,the computer has a storage capacity of 6GB but the problem is i installed win 2000 pro under NTFS...so everything work but with I clicked in c:properties it shows that i have 995mb used and 1.02 free......does anyone know why this is on a 6 GB pc....or shoulds i reinstall win again to fat or fat32.......no to sure about what all this files are for ntfs,,,,fat,,,,,fat32.......any help would be great

Are you sure it was ntfs? Sounds like a 2GB partition (which is the limit for FAT). Didn't you notice during the install? When it gets to the bit where it asks you where you want to install. Shows a list of existing partitions and unpartitioned space. If you want the whole 6gb in one partition, you will need to reinstall. When it gets to the where bit, use 2k's tools to remove existing partition and create one new 6gb one (which will have to be fat32 or ntfs).

i think your right i must have choose a partitial partition or something like that.i will re install and i guess under NTFS????? and what should i choose for the partitions settings..thanks for the reply

i am re installing right now.......its askes me if i wish to enable large disk support???? .....and then the question is that my pc has ntfs should ntfs partitions on all drives be treated as large ......what should i answer/////////thanks

Yes, enable large disk support.

What I would do is delete all current partitions and reformat as one "big" 6Gb partition using NTFS.

If you haved access to something like Partition Magic, I suggest you try re-sizing and/or converting the partitions before you re-format and re-install.

HTH

thanks for the help guys it work great......

acerabc

glad all is ok - but you were not letting on about your install route. 'enable large disk support' is part of fdisk, which is a win9x/Me tool, not needed for 2k.

If you boot from 2k install CD, its got all the partitioning tools you need - DO NOT NEED FDISK.

This is for benefit of inexperienced users reading the thread.

your right wolluf but just so you all know i did not boot from the cd i was told to use the 9x boot disk....from there i was ask the questions about the enable large disk so i said yes to both.....i now have a total 6gb on my pc...if anyone needs more info please let me know i will be glad to help if i can

FYI for any wondering...

The question on a 98 startup disk asking to enable large disk support:
Y = your partition will be FAT32
N = your partition will be FAT16 pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

i used NTFS but from what i can remember it did not say anything about win32,,,,

If you chose that from a Win98 floppy - you didn't get NTFS. Windows 2000 will work with NTFS (booting/installing from Win2K floppies or CDROM), or FAT32 using a 98 floppy.

If you got a menu to format using Fat32 or NTFS - it was from a Windows 2000 setup disk or floppy. Not Win98. pbxman
Systems Administrator

i see what your saying,,,,but i know the disk was a win98 9x disk forsure so if the ntfs was not it,,,,then it was fat 32....i wish i could help some more but i truly dont understand all this stuff

Thats okay. You still got large disk support - but using FAT32. Both NTFS and FAT32 will allow large disk support, so you're still okay. The difference is Windows 2000 uses NTFS security that you will not get with FAT32...fine for regular users. If on a network, you should use NTFS. NTFS also has superior filesystem handling eliminating the common useage of "defrag" in 95/98.
You're still okay - not to worry...I was just citing a few differneces between the 2. :) pbxman
Systems Administrator

Haven't done it for a while, but can you not run the Drive converter to change from FAT32 to NTFS without destroying the partition?

NTFS is much better as it fixes minor problems itself, i.e. No need to run Scandisk if you have a power cut or something :)
--

Dash
"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every Minute!!!!!"

Yes - the drive convertor will work, but it's not necessary in this case i don't think. I dont forsee acerabc setting security and stuff when admittedly acer stated that Fat32/NTFS wasn't understood too well. Fat32 is fine for this application i think. :)

To convert FAT32 to NTFS, you'd go to Start/Run and type:
CONVERT C: /FS:NTFS
pbxman
Systems Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back