Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 2000 hangs on "Setup is starting Windows 2000"

Status
Not open for further replies.

medford420

Technical User
May 9, 2001
US
Even though this is my first post, I have use a lot of the information from this and other forums, thanks.

Ok, this is driving me absolutely crazy!!! I really need some help with this one. I am trying to install Windows 2000 Professional on what is essentially a brand new system I put together. Currently it has the following hardware:

ECS k7S5A motherboard(brand new)
AMD Duron 1.2 CPU (brand new)
256 MB SDRAM
PNY Verto GeForce2 64MB video card (brand new)
IBM 40GB HD (brand new)
Sony Spressa CD-RW

I am loading Win2000 from the CD, and every time it gets through the loading of the setup files (first blue screen), then hangs at "Setup is Starting Windows 2000". It never even gets to the drive formatting section. Has anyone seen this before? I found some info. at the Microsoft troubleshooting site, but it did not help!! Someone please help!

Thanks,

medford420

Does the motherboard have raid built in or ATA100? If so you need to provide drivers for W2K for those devices.(F6 when prompted)
If you dont get that far, try making the four bootdisks and booting with them.

Thanks. The board is not set up for RAID. Also, I have misplaced my Windows 2000 manual...what is the best way to make the bootdisks without having the an operating system installed?

medford420

Nevermind, I made the disks. Let's hope they do the trick!

STILL STALLING AT "Setup is Starting Windows 2000" when using floppy boot disks. It has something to do with the hardware configuration settings I think.

ANY SUGGESTIONS!? PLEASE?!

medford420

take out all unnecessary devices, set bios settings at minimum

In the plug and Play section of the BIOS set it to have the OS handle not the motherboard.[bigglasses]

In response to lucasm,

Could you elaborate on set bios settings at minimum? Are you referring to any settings in particular?

medford420

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back