Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 2000 driver to produce SIMPLE PS? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillGeake

Programmer
Mar 27, 2001
GB
(Warning: very low level of knowledge....)

I have a problem with PS drivers on Win2k producing much more complex PS than their NT4 equivalents. I need to find a Win2k driver which will produce nice simple PS.

We have a legacy system which deals with concatenation and pagination of reports which are produced as a number of PS files by Windows applications which print to file using PS drivers (mostly HP).

To insert a client name and page number, the legacy program looks for showpage operators, assumes these indicate a new page and inserts what amounts to a footer to appear on the previous page.

The problem is that Win2k drivers seem to produce lots of showpage operators, which I guess are called conditionally. Hence the legacy program puts its footers in the wrong places - the file still prints, but the footer does not appear.

My choices are:

1. Learn lots of PS and re-engineer the program to insert its footers correctly (unlikely before the deadline)
2. Find a simpler driver - but there are too many for trial and error
3. Design a whole new way of doing this (deadline problem again)

Can anyone suggest a driver to try?

Many thanks in advance

Bill.

Well I don't know if W2k still has it in, but the Apple LaserWriterII driver is generally regarded as about the most vanilla PS driver around! Jim Brown,
Johannesburg,
South Africa.
My time is GMT+2

Thanks for this - I've tried the LaserWriter II NT v47.0, and still get PS which is too complex. There are a few others in the LaserWriter II family which I'll have a go with as well.

Bill.

I don't know about different drivers, I always use Adobe's Driver, never use any Microsoft Drivers.

However, some simple PostScript code may solve your problem. Look for the post in this forum dealing with watermarking.

In essence, headers and footers can be achieved with the BeginPage and EndPage structures. These instructions will be executed automatically by showpage.

So instead of searching for all showpages and adding code inline, you can simply define BeginPage and/or EndPage instructions ONCE, at the top of the file, and showpage will execute THEM whenever the program executes showpage.

Let me know if you need more help... tgreer@choicesolutions.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back