Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Will Windows 98 support multiple network configurations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EthanVos

Technical User
Nov 14, 2002
CA
Good morning.

I have a notebook that is part of a workgroup where I work. I want to be able to also plug it in to the network at home but that is a different workgroup.

Will Windows 98 support more than one network setup or do I have to re-configure the network settings every time I change?

Thanks.

Ethan

Hi,
I have never looked at setting up different work groups - perhaps it can be done with user profiles.

For your situation, I would suggest that the easiest option is to rename your home network to the network name you use at work - Access, should after all be password protected.

Regards.

No. it won't

Try this happy little guy- I use it all the time

this allows multiple network profiles in 95/98/NT/2K/XP.

No offense, but if you are unsure in setting it up, get one of your office techs to do it. It is really straight forward if you know what you are doing.

A very nice link roamer1. And a fair price application too.

Thanks.

I had that problem too when I had a laptop. My solution was to give my home network the same Workgroup names as the office. Maybe won't apply to you but it made my life easier.

If your notebook has a PCMCIA network card and two PCMCIA slots you can put the card in one slot for work and the other for home - windows (not sure which os) will treat the card as a different card. Have not done this but have read about it. good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back