Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Will Visual Studio.NET support Classic ASP dev work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonsalas

IS-IT--Management
Jun 20, 2001
GU
Does anyone know if Visual Studio.NET does (will) support server-side scripting in VBScript for Classic ASP apps (ASP 2/3)?

Well I think what you're asking is 'Will old asp script run on the new version of IIS?'. Yep, it will.

Thanks. I was also talking about IntelliSense for color-coding, AutoComplete, and such. I've heard mixed reviews as VS.NET went through the Beta stages.

Know anything about this?

Autocomplete works. By defult, there's no coloring. I think it's really slick!

Actually, in the interest of science, I did a test....trying to find the answer to my problem by working ass-backwards (a strategy I commonly use). :)

Rather than fret over whether VS.NET would support Classic ASP, I tried writing ASP.NET code in Visual Studio 6 (with InterDev). I'm not worried about managing VS projects...I just wanted AutoComplete and code-coloring.

It works great for the most part...but the trick is that you'll have to save your files in the Classic ASP ".ASP" format, and then rename them later (.ASMX, .ASPX, .ASCX, etc.). Also, the key is to -NOT- write in the Page and Register directives...else the program not recognize the code and leave out color-coding.

(I comment them out and then remove the comments when I'm done). It's an extremely low-budget solution...but a solution nonetheless! :)

In other words you're saying there isn't anything quite like InterDev in VS.Net?

In other words you're saying there isn't anything quite like InterDev in VS.Net?

My prayers have been answered!

I've never gotten Interdev to work for me. I usually use Visual Notepad. :)

Chip H.

Visual Notepad!?!? You are a glutton for punishment! How do you manage stylesheets? How do you manage your ASP projects?

How do you post to the server?

How the heck do you debug??

;-)

I know some people used the term with the source-view back in InterDev 1.0 days.

I've also heard some people call ActiveX Control Pad "Visual Notepad."

There was a nasty shareware editor written in VB 3 called "Visual Notepad" years ago. Maybe that's what I thought was being referenced?

Seems like there is something called "Visual Notepad" in VS.Net too. Can't be sure myself, I backed away from .Net in September when I saw it going nowhere fast. Based upon the level of posts I see here it appears my decision has been vindicated.

Too bad, there is a lot of good in .Net, although I think acceptance will continue to be glacial. Looks like MS scalded the baby in the Java this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back