Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Will Visual dBase 5.5 run OK on Windows XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bspeight

Vendor
Jan 15, 2003
AU
I have a customer who has been happily running quite a complex in-house Visual dBase 5.5 application on two networked PCs, one running Win98SE, and the other running Win95. Both PCs are years old.

For performance and reliability reasons he is now considering upgrading to new PCs running Windows XP.

The big question: is Visual dBase 5.5 going to work OK under Windows XP?

Thanks for any advice.

I have native and complied code running on Win95, Win98SE,
WinNT4.0, Win2000Pro, WinXpPro - no problems.

The ONLY anomaly I've found is with long file names. Windows handled long file names with a different approach post Win98SE. The workaround for Visual dBase 5.5 and 5.6
is to keep your file namimg conventions to the traditional max 8 character filename and 3 character extension.

eg. filename.dbf will work fine
my_great_long_filename.dbf won't !

HTH
dbacan

Thanks dbacan.

Appreciate your advice.

Bernard

I recently purchased a machine with XP-PRO on it and am using a large number of Visual Basic and DB-IV programs on it. In addition to the long file name problem, I also have a problem in printer selection. The system refuses to recognize the default windows printer. I have to use the Chooseprinter() command every time I enter Visual-DB and reset the printer to the default choice.

Hi
I too have been successfully using a rather complex code started first in dbase II and maintained and improved up through all the dbase changes over the last 21 years.
Two weeks ago I purchased 2 windows xp pcs
I at first had a small problem with code that responded with older operating systems but would not respond in the windows xp environment. That was traceable and repairable.
However, I am finding with my two pcs and also with the one purchased for me at my work place, that dbase closes down on me with no apparent reason. When this happins, I loose every record entered since the last start up. This is scary. I am afraid to enter many records without closing out and restarting to ensure that I loose no entries. I am sure that there must be a solution to this, but I have worked for 2 weeks and have been unsuccessful in solving this problem. Hope this does not scare you away from progress . Anyone out there who reads this that can offer advice would be much appreciated.
Rudy

These links may not work for dlmcferran since I'm not familiar with Visual dBase, but if lilwud still uses DOS version of dBase, try the suggestions I made here:

thread290-404738
thread182-718345

i have a complex payroll program (paybear2k.com)that i started writing in dbase5 (win95) and continued through 5.5 (win98). i switched to winxp and everything works fine except long filenames, can't figure that one out.
if anyone is having file (Dbf) proablems the first thing i would do is (re)creat the files under 5.5, i think there might be some differenc in their hex ??? just my thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back