Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Will VB.net do what I want?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomed

Programmer
Apr 1, 2002
US
I'm considering purchasing something to build a few small apps for the company I am with right now. I've looked at vb.net and was wondering if I would be lacking anything I needed if I just purchased vb and not the entire visual studio.

The first thing I'm going to build is an app for my end users to run reports (crystal 8.5) on their machines without having crystal installed. I will also probably be looking at building something for inventory purposes. Probably with an access backend. More will follow I'm sure.

Will vb.net standalone do this? Or will I need to purchase Visual Studio?

If you own Crystal 8.5, I'm not positive, but you can probably reference those libraryies in VB.Net and make reports. They would have to be purely from scratch I believe. I've never seen a specific Crystal 8.5 designer show up in Visual Studio .Net after referencing the 8.5 designer.

But if you buy the while Visual Studio .Net, it comes with a Crystal 8 designer. The designer is much easier to produce reports than purely from code.

Thanks both of you. I already have the reports created in 8.5 Developer. I'm wanting to write a small app to allow people without Crystal to view the reports and also for me to be able to schedule the reports to run after regular business hours. So creating the reports is not a problem.

ps YOU DO NOT NEED Visual.STUDIO JUST VB.NET ALONE Will do
VB.STUDIO just gives you a variety of languages to program in.

If you want to learn j#, c#,visual C++, etc then buy the studio you'll need it.

but if your only goal is to master vb.net and build robust quality apps vb.net will do

hope it helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back