Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Will this work? 2003 RAS/VPN setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox1977

IS-IT--Management
Dec 6, 2001
GB
Hi there,

I'm new to vpn/remote access setups and I'm trying to get one up and running in our office. Just wanted to run this by a few people who know there stuff.

The setup is as follows:

Windows 2003 server with RAS setup and running on one network card. I have set the network card with a static ip address.

I have a BT Business Hub 2700HGV (2wire) router. From this i plan to forward the VPN ports to the IP address of the server. The router has a static IP and uses NAT. The ports i have set to forward are 500 and 1723,

Do i need to open all these up?

--------
PPTP VPN uses TCP Port 1723
IP Protocol 47 (GRE);
L2TP: UDP Port 1701;
IPSec: Pass IP protocol 50 and 51
Note: 47 is a protocol number and not TCP port. The protocol name is GRE. It'll make a big difference when configuring your firewall or router.
--------

I have set the above to ports two forward. Then I change the account in active directory to allow to dial into the network.

I run thw windows xp vpn client 'as is' pointing to the ip address but I could not get it to connect. This may have been down to the fact i was actually in the office and trying to connect from one ADSL connection backinto the office. I will try it again from another network.

Does this sound like I am going about this the right way. Will this work?

I am going to follow the guide on here tomorrow and I will let you know how i get on.

Anyone offer any other tips?

Thanks in advance

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back