Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Will the server ask for a reboot on removal of array?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 18, 2003
US
I have a Proliant 800 server that is full to the hilt with drives. I have moved everything but the OS to a san. I now want to remove the internal drives as they are no longer needed (keeping the three drives that contain the OS).
I am planning on doing the following:

Going into windows disk manager and removing the partitions.
Then going into CPQ array utility and deleting the arrays.
Then I will save and exit ACU.

Will this cause the server to ask for a reboot? Just wondering if I can do this during the day or not.

Hi

Provided your three disk with the OS are not on the RAID set that you are going to delete then it should not ask for a reboot. However, I recommend this work be completed outside production\business hours as anything can happen. I recommend a backup and documentation of your OS build before you begin as well.
If you are going to recreate a RAID set then this would have a performance impact on the server.
Plan for the worst case senario and then you will always be prepared when things hit the fan. No one is even allowed in our Data centre unless a server is down during business hours, all servers are in locked cabinets - sometimes you can have overkill. Some of the old compaq servers had power switches that you just had to brush past and the server would power off - I did hear a guy do this years ago - Compaq retro fittted little covers for all our servers.

Regards

David

No - the OS is on a different raid array.
That sounds like a good strategy - I will do that.
I am not going to recreate the raids.I am going to remove the drives completely as they are no longer needed (ecxcept for the OS array).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back