Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Will the 100DCD 100 DCD Module work on Legend R7V14?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikedphones

Vendor
Oct 11, 2005
US
We are cutting a customer over to PRI T1 later in the week and I was going to put the 100DCD in, but then wondered if that works on Legend R7V14 or if I have to stick with the 100D. Does anyone know for sure if the 100DCD can be used without issues? I am coming right from the Comcast equipment to it. It's PRI and I have done enough to get it running with them, my only concern is the 100DCD and if it works on Legend 7v14. Thanks

Merlinman could probably give the definitive answer, but the Magix Pocket Reference says the 100D contains a built-in Channel Service Unit that is supported in Magix 1.5 and later. It should work except for the CSU.

Thank you TT.

We will wait for Merlinman to give the answer, but as long as the 100DCD is recognized on R7V14 and acts the same as a 100D (meaning technically neither have a CSU) I would be OK. I just didn't want to get there an not have a useable board at all.

What's everyone's take on not having a CSU connected at all these days? I have run into a few sites, coincidentally Comcast PRI, where it appears that the cable is plugged directly from their Adtran to our 100D. Is it OK not to have a CSU in between?

The T1 part will, most likely, work as long as the card is "recognized" as a 100D. Once you install it, and do a board renumber, do a system inventory (Maintenance).

Then, see what the Processor "thinks" you installed. If it reports a 100D, then you are good to go.

Just remember, the R7 can't do anything with the built in CSU/DSU. But with Comcast (and pretty much all the other PRI Vendors) that's a non issue.

Of course, make sure the vendor knows the Legend cannot use NI2. No matter what card works, you will most likely have your biggest problems with that one issue.

Thank you for the info Merlinman.

Do you think I would be wiser to install the board first and then bring everything back up before programming? I was playing around with the idea of logging into the system with WinSPM and in surrogate/boards adding the DS1 card then after restart, doing all my programming and just not messing with pools/ARS yet. Then once the board was installed, doing the inventory and confirming it sees it correctly. Do you think that's a bad idea because I am using a 100DCD?

Thanks again

Yes, that's what I was suggesting. Just add the board, do a SYSTEM RENUMBER, then and INVENTORY, and let the LEGEND tell you what it thinks you installed.

Of course, that would be the first step anyway.

Then, you could program it if the board is recognized.

Let us know who it turns out.

I think you'll be just fine.

be aware that initial setup programming will require at least one system reboot. you may want to add the card and do the signaling program both, out of hours.

Thank you Merlinman and wireboy. If it makes sense to install the board and renumber before doing any pre-programming (rather than adding the board in surrogate tonight and programming ahead of time), then that's what I will do. I will make the customer aware of the reboots needed to bring everything up to speed. I don't have an out of hours option to add the board and do that part, which I would have also liked.

If you have the time....why don't to upgrade to a Magiz processor and
do a convert from the Legend r7 translations to the the Magix translation.
Then the DCD100 will work just fine in the Legend cabinet with a clam shell.
Just a thought.

If the OP's customer has any ATLs in the system, then the conversion to the Magix is going to be a bit more expensive and require some degree of reprogramming.

I [love2] "FEATURE 00"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back