Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Will Seagate 0005 firmware work in FC5600?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghaun

Technical User
Dec 6, 2007
US
Hello,

I am new to Fibre Channel in general. I originally picked up a Dell 650f and 3 630f. I believe that the 650f is an FC5600?

I also purchased 40 ST336704FC drives separately. I then learned that I need flare. I purchased another 650f with original 18GB drives and am hoping to use these drives to copy flare to my 36GB drives.

I believe that I need to update the drives to work in the array, so I direct-connected a 630f (non-raid) as just a JBOD in order to allow for changing mode pages and fixing the format. Well it turns out that the drives are all 520 bock size already, so I just changed the mode pages.

Here comes the big question, as I seem to be stumped. I put everything back in the 5600 and booted with the 18GB flare drives. Everything started up fine, I entered FCLI mode and removed all LUNs, etc. The 36GB drives showed up as "Unsupported". These drives have the correct mode page settings and block size; though, the firmware is listed as 0005. I'm guessing that this is the problem. Why would the drives have been 520, yet have a generic 0005 firmware? The 0005 firmware is generic, yes??? Finally, how do I update the firmware? I downloaded the DE84 firmware from Dell's site to upload. They are .fdf files; though the downloads fail. I am using SCSIToolBox and it fails with a sense key of 0x05, coded of 0x26, ASQ of 0x99.

I am hoping that somebody can help me out with this.

Thanks so much!!!

Usually, the unsupported drive issue is fixed by having the correct version of flare. I'd make sure you have the latest version for that box. I looked at a list of supported disks and that particular model wasn't included but the list is likely very outdated and support for that model could have been added in later versions of flare. Good luck.

Your still trying to do the imposible. You need the DE84 .lod files. Not the .fdf.
We exchanged several E-mails about this weeks ago. I thought you were just going to sell the equipment ?

bill@bltserv.

Bill,

Well, as I had everything else running and since obtained an SPS, I was hoping that sombebody else got this working without the $800 expense that your service would cost me. I'm sorry, but this is just a hobby project. I figured that I would give one more go at it, as the SCSIToolbox fellows were helping me out. If I had a single .lod file, then perhaps I could figure out the required format. I'm assuming that there are just extra header bytes or something tacked on there. I read some excerpts about editing the binary in the flash loads to make the device type agree. I'm sure that there is more to it, so I upon finding this wonderful group...I though that it deserved one last try. I have already devoted so much time and learned so much.

I understand that you can not help without making a living, but I was hoping that there would be somebody else that solved this without such expense.

Thanks,

Gregory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back