Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Will power supply fit in ATX case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 28, 2003
US
I have an old Gateway 2000 case and Power supply manufactered in 1996. The power supply is only 145 watts and I know it won't run the new Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard I just bought. But can I buy a 350 or 400 watt PS and put it in the old ATX case? Will it fit? Can I save a buck? Is it feasible or should I chuck the whole thing and buy a new case w/PS?
Thanks for any reply

Get the new case and power supply. I just checked a GW against a couple of other supplies and they are different in all 3 dimensions. Shorter and narrower to fit the case but extend further in from the back. So no, they will not fit.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

That's why I hate to use 'Brand name' computers. They never leave a backdoor for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back