Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Will Panther run these programs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morgan19

IS-IT--Management
Aug 9, 2002
US
I'm currently running OS 9.2 and am looking into doing a clean install of 10.3. (Going to wipe the drive and start fresh, not upgrade.) Will I run into any problems with any of the programs listed below:

Adobe Acrobat
Adobe Distiller 4.0
Adobe Illustrator 9
Adboe Photoshop 6
Adobe Type Manager (ATM) 4.6
FileMaker Pro 5
Flightcheck 3.9
IE5.1
Macromedia Dreamweaver Ultradev (4)
Macromedia Dreamweaver MX
Macromeida Fireworks 4
Macromedia Fireworks MX
Macromedia Flash 5
Macromedia Flash MX
Macromeida Freehand 9
Microsoft Outlook 2001
Microsoft Powerpoint 98
Microsoft Word 98
Quark Xpress 4.1
Swift 3D
Winamp 0.71

Will they run straight in Panther, or will I need Classic mode? Is Classic mode installed when you do a fresh install of 10.3, or do you need to have 9.x installed as well?

Thanks!
m19

Pretty much all of this will be run in Classic.

You can install OS9 before OSX, during OSX install, or after OSX is installed.

While OSX is the cat's meow, you may want to evaluate why you want to move to OSX. If you are running an older computer, you will see a decrease in speed as you run OS9 Classic on top of OSX.

- - picklefish - -
Why is everyone in this forum responding to me as picklefish?

Thanks for the reply. Some more questions below. :)

Since we have a current 9.2 install already– would you suggest installing 10.3 overtop/alongside (whatever it's called ^_^) it, or doing a fresh install of both OSs? Is Classic something that can be run while in 10.3, or would we have to keep switching back and forth? For example, if I wanted to run FileMaker in Classic and Dreamweaver MX in 10.3 (just using that as a hypothetical example), would I be able to have them both going at the same time, or keep switching back and forth between Classic and 10.3?

As for the need, it's at a point where we really need to upgrade... We're a graphic design & multimedia firm and some of our newer projects and collaborations require OS X to function properly, so there's not much of an option. ;) We're all running the slate-blue/grey G4s with anywhere from ~700 MBs to ~1+ GB of RAM. Think they can handle 10.3?

m19

It is possible to install OSX over an existing OS9 installation without erasing the existing system. If you have the ability to back up the OS9 system & apps & documents, the ideal method is to install OSX on a freshly formatted drive.

'Classic' runs seamlessly in OSX. When you work in a Classic application, the menu bar at the top of the screen changes from OSX to OS9. You can copy and paste data between an OS9 app and an OSX app.

OSX support goes all the way back to G3s.

- - picklefish - -

Again, thanks. Can you bear with me for just a little longer for a little more clarification? :)

Basically, is what you're saying that 9.2 OS and Classic (in 10.3) are the really same thing, but they're just called different names? So 9.2 really is running within 10.3? Is running Classic in 10.3 something completely different from booting directly *into* 9.2, when you have both OSs installed?

m19

Before OSX, if you had two systems on your Mac (such as 8 and 9), you would choose which to start with the Startup Disk control panel. Switching an OS was done at boot.

While the control panel is still available in OSX, you can start up OS9 while still in OSX - no rebooting required. It is almost like running an emulator (OS9) on top of a host operating system (OSX). Classic is often referred to as a 'layer' because it works on top of the running OSX.

No offense is intended but you seem really fresh to the concept of OSX. You might check out apple.com for quicktime demonstrations of how OSX works with OS9. You might also contact Apple for a booklet that I received a while ago aimed at designers - I got it at a 'Driven by Design' seminar. It details how to move from OS9 to X.

- - picklefish - -

Ok thanks, I'll look into that booklet.

No offense taken! I'm not nearly as new as I sound, but I'm just having a bit of trouble wrapping my head around the idea of having a dual-boot of sorts that isn't really a dual boot. ;)

Thanks again,
m19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back