Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Will not boot, invalid system disk 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gearhead03

Technical User
Mar 29, 2003
US
This morning my computer gives me an invalid system disk message and will not boot up.
Windows XP Home edition.
Ran System Mechanic recovery console and it didn't find any issues with the MBR or Partition tables.
Then I put my Ubuntu boot disk in.
Ubuntu is NOT installed in this PC.
At the beginning of the boot process it has an option to "Boot from first hard drive"
I selected this and my PC booted up just fine seemingly.
It did give me the message that windows had recovered from a serious error and did I want to send the report.
I can run just fine.
Took Ubuntu disk out and rebooted.
Invalid system disk again.
Put Ubuntu in, same drill boots fine.
The hard Drive is a SATA drive. I am thinking that the raid driver is corrupt in windows somehow.

What do you guys think?
And what is the next step?

and as I was searching around I also noticed that my PS fan isn't running. I have a new one on the way now.

Mark A. Kale

I'd start by trying FIXBOOT and FIXMBR from the recovery console...

Ed Metcalfe.

Please do not feed the trolls.....

I tried that. Still no luck.
It's really strange, If I have the windows CD inthe cd drive, even if I don't boot from it, windows boots up fine.
If I take the disk out I get the invalid system disk error.

Mark A. Kale

Have you got the XP Booting files on C: drive? THEY ARE ALL HIDDEN AND SYSTEM FILES. Is the booting Drive/Partition the marked as the Active Drive/Partition too?

XP files -
boot.ini
NTDETECT.COM
ntldr

How to Use System Files to Create a Boot Disk to Guard Against Being Unable to Start Windows XP (Q314079)

Q305595 - HOW TO: Create a Boot Disk for an NTFS or FAT Partition in Windows XP

Weird Boot Error On new XP Installation
thread779-1335491: Weird Boot Error On new XP Installation

WinXP Pro will ONLY boot from CD
thread779-890537: WinXP Pro will ONLY boot from CD

Boot disk failure - weird one
thread779-1476075

What's the order of boot devices set to in your BIOS?

Ed Metcalfe

Please do not feed the trolls.....

1. make sure no USB flash drives or other USB devices are hooked up to the PC...

2. see if you left a Floppy in the drive, if so remove, if not then go into BIOS and disable the Floppy controller... and if it boots, then you have a faulty cable or floppy drive...

3. read:

How to use System files to create a boot disk to guard against being unable to start Windows XP

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

OK thanks for the help everyone!
I am back up and running.
I checked and changed my boot order and things to no avail.
Ran FIXBOOT and FIXMBR (cuz I ain't skeered and I back up) No luck
I unplugged any USB drives, no joy.

I finally used the information in this thread....
(thanks linney) to use bootcfg to fix my issue. (thanks bcastner)
Interestingly I have a very similiar hardware setup as the guys on that thread. (AMD Sempron 2600, MSI MOBO)
I ran bootcfg /rebuild and set a new boot installation. I didn't actually change anything but it worked. I now have to select the install to boot to but I imagina I can fix that also but will tackle it later.

Here are a couple bootcfg links to help others having this problem

Mark A. Kale

Ola, glad you got it sorted...

the Boot.INI file is the one that needs editing, just remember which one of the choices works (see example below)...

Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
[COLOR=blue]multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /bootlogo /noguiboot /noExecute=OptIn[/color]
[b]multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /bootlogo /noguiboot /noExecute=OptIn[/b]

where the highlighted is the one that boots correctly, you would then delete the blue colored one from the BOOT.INI file or vice versa...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back