Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Will my power supply work in my computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

akshtray

IS-IT--Management
Dec 14, 2002
US
Hi ..

I am buying a Nvidia 6600GT video card and need to buy a new video card as the 250W power supply will not work. I am not 100% sure but I think my computer is in a Micro-ATX case. The current power supply in there is a 250W power supply.

I have ordered a 450W power supply which runs on ATX cases but I am not 100% sure if this power supply will work on my computer. Do you guys have any information if ATX power supplies work on Micro-ATX ones and if not where can i get a 400+W power supply for my Micro-ATX chassis.

Thanks

Akshtray

It isnt as much a question of a case but of AT vs ATX connectiions on the power supply. There are a few different ways air is exhausted from some power supplies (down vs out the back). As long as you have the right power supply connection for your MB and the fan fits into the case, you should be ok.

Thanks pintail ..

I see what you are saying but my main concern is the physical size of the power supply more than anything else. I think the connections and fan outlets on the new power supply look similar to my present power supply but I am more concerned about the physical size of the power supply. As far as the pictures are concerned both power supplies look to be of identical size but I cant say for sure. I think that is what it may eventually come down to .. will the new power supply physically fit in the system.

Akshtray

Usually it will. Luck is on your side.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

akshtray
If yours is truely a "micro ATX case" the PSU is usually quite alot smaller but as you say they look the same?? I doubt you would miss the drastic differances there are between the two.
So what I'm saying is if you say they look the same then they probably are.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

I guess I will have to wait and find out. Like I said they did look the same (in pictures) and are about the same size. But if that is really a Micro-ATX case then where do I get a Power supply big enough to run my 6600GT because from what I understand the 250W factory PSU will definitely not run it. I have not been able to find any PSU's bigger than 300W online, not yet anyway.

Thanks to all and I will appreciate the help and input.

Akshtray

akshtray,

I take it that you are making the assumption that they look the same from a picture? Otherwise if you had received to PS you would not need to ask if it will fit.
Unfortunately, form a pic the two sizes ATX & MATX would appear the same as the proportions are similar.
Hopefully the PS you ordered will fit. If your case is an aftermarket case, most all Micro-ATX cases (aftermarket) utilize the std ATX PS. If you have one of the small form factor towers i.e. HP, Dell and the like, they most often use a real MATX PS.

In general the ATX is 5.5" W X 6" D X 3.5" H
the MATX is 5" W X 4" D X 2.5" H
these are approximate as each mfg can make slight alterations and I roughly converted from cm. If you do find that a normal ATX will not fit there are several MATX PS in the 350-400 output range available. Get your ruler out and measure the present PS as there seems to be at least two camps on MATX some are dim as I outlined above and others swap the W dim with the D dim changing the face that the AC supply connects. If this is the case and you have trouble finding one check back.

rvnguy

On the other hand, as long as you have the connections you need and the power supply fits in the case, you should be fine. If that means you have to drill a small hole to accommodate a sheet metal screw you can do that.
What to do if the screwholes dont meet and you need to drill one out. For the holes you have that fit, of course you dont do anything, for the one(s) that dont you put a dab of vaseline around the screw-hole on the ps and fit it into the case. The vaseline will transfer a mark onto the case where you need to drill a hole. Hopefully you wont have to do any of this, but just in case.
If the fan in the power supply is pulling air in and you need it to blow air out then just reverse the fan, but be careful as a power supply has deadly voltage inside it even when the power is unplugged, but you can still reverse the fan if needed.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Thanks to RVNGUY's approximate measurements I did measure my present PSU's dimensions:

They came out to me 6.5" x 5.5" x 4"

So I guess that the new PSU I ordered should fit in my Case as long as it has similar dimensions.

Thanks again to all of you.

Akshtray

There is no special requirement for power supplies in a Micro-ATX case. As a matter of fact, the form factor specification states a recommendation to use "ATX-compliant" power supplies:

2.7.1 Power Supply Suggestions
[tab][ul]It is recommended that the microATX system use an SFX power supply or an ATX-compliant power supplies.[/ul]

Here's a link you might find useful:

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

TO all those who were kind enough to answer my questions .. thanks a lot.

The new PSU and Video card are in and work like a charm. The PSU fit without a problem and now doesnt seem to get that hot even when I play games at the highest settings.

Thanks.

Akshtray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back