Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Will my old wireless network card work with WPA2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BionicJohn

Technical User
Nov 6, 2002
GB
I am currently running two old-ish WinXP SP3 Toshiba laptops, one with a Netgear WG511T Wireless Network Card and the other with a BT Voyager 1060. Both these cards are getting old but they work just fine.

I'm using WPA Protected Access protocol with AES encryption.

My wireless access point also offers WPA2, which is the preferred protocol, and both the cards will detect neignbouring WPA2 access points.

Does this mean I can switch to WPA2? Or is there a hardware requirement which these cards, being old, won't meet?

I could reconfigure the WAP to find out, but I'd like to have an idea in advance if there are any glaring incompatibilities as WPA2 is not mentioned in the spec of either.

Liverpool: Capital of Culture 2008
Anfield: Capital of Football since 1892
Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

The netgear only suports 40 or 128 bit WEP encryption so no you can't use WPA with that wireless card. BT appears to support WPA .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back