Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Will manually compiling a program get rid of errors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barok

MIS
Dec 13, 2002
CA
when i compiled a program that used rellib, the compiling process showed hundreds of errors. however, it made an exe, but it wouldn't run. so i tried to learn about manual compiling with BC and LINK. To my dispair i came across more errors.

I know my program runs because it runs in the IDE and I know i made no errors. I think it's because i'm using rellib i'm getting the errors.

Btw, don't ask to show you the errors! I get +200 of them. and my code certainly isn't big enough to generate all those errors...

Basically (pardon the pun) has anyone else encountered this program? if you have, what fixes have you done?

Hi Barok. :)

Wow, That's a bunch of errors.

How about just giving 1 or 2 of those errors messages here. ;)

Also, what's the BC & LINK lines you're using?

- Dav

bc mapedit/O/T/C:512;
Link @l.l

L.L
/EX /NOE /NOD:BRUN45.LIB MAPEDIT

rel.lib

217 errors.

BCOM45.LIB(../rt/pr0a.asm):error L2002: fixup overflow at 0011 in segment pos: 279E7 Record type: 9c

BCom45.LIB(../rt/mtfloat.asm) : error L2002: fixup overflow at 0020 in segment pos: 2A11E Record type: 9c
target external 'B$AC'

BCOM45.LIB(../rt/mtfloat.asm) : Error L202: fixup overflow at 0045 in segment pos: 27A0C Record type: 9c

The compiling process makes your programs much longer than they are in Qbasic, since it breaks them down into very basic commands, so your code may end up being several hunder lines long.

Do you use any large arrays? When I first compiled my game Contact, which has an off-screen buffer, I got hundreds of erros too. But once I looked at it I realized htat I had the '$DYNAMIC command in wrong place. That cleared up all of my errors.
By the errors that you have it seems to be compiling something that has an array in it.

DOes you program run within BASIC?

yes, it runs in basic.

it also has several arrays, such as buffer, and arrays to hold the mouse tile, map data, and tiles.

Do you have a '$DYNAMIC statement? If you don't, or if it's not at the very top of the program that can give you a string of errors like that, even if the program runs in Qbasic.

completely forgot about '$dynamic. added it to the top of my program and it compiled like a charm! thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back