Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Will laptop dvd drive work in small-profile desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

toonarmy

Technical User
Oct 23, 2002
US
I've a DELL Optiplex GX50 small profile desktop which has space for a half-height CD or DVD drive - it was a networked PC and did not come with a CD drive. DELL do not stock replacement CD drives any more so I acquired a Panasonic SR-8171 DVD/CD drive not realizing this device is usually used in laptops, it's the right size but doesn't have the EIDE/power sockets I'm used to on desktops - the device in question has only one socket, presumably some of the connectors carry power. I've web-searched in vain for cables that allegedly connect a laptop drive to a desktop m-board - do such cables exist?

I can't speak for your model, specifically, but I hope that this helps you.

I have never seen a laptop CDROM/DVD drive connected to a PC. Most CDROM drives in a laptop do not seem to have a standard way of hooking to the system board. Therefore, you would want to contact panasonic to see if they have a solution.

The connectors to connect a laptop drive that you are seeing are mainly for a hard drive. These are available, but will not likely mesh with your CDROM drive. The only way that these will work is if your laptop CDROM drive has the standard laptop IDE interface (as is on the laptop hard drives)--again, by contacting Panasonic, you should be able to find this out.

**Fair warning** If you are able to use one of those IDE connectors, be very sure that you properly connect pin 1. If you get the adapter backwards, then you will be applying power to the wrong pins on your device, therefore frying it!

Good luck! Mudskipper
___________________________________________________________________________________

Groucho said it best- "A four year-old child could understand this! Quick! Run out and find me a four year-old child: I can't make heads nor tails out of this!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back