Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Will IPSI disconnect or server interchange cause dropped calls?

Status
Not open for further replies.

J1121

MIS
Dec 12, 2002
US
CM 5.2.1 S8800 duplicated server pair with 2 IPSI cards in the local cabinets. Tell me if I'm thinking straight. I'd like to replace the LAN switches the IPSI cards and servers are using (just the private connections the IPSI cards and servers are using for the control net). I'm think there's absolutely no impact at all by momentarily disconnecting the standby server and standby IPSI card to replace the LAN switch they're using, but what I'm not completely sure about is if there would be any disconnected calls (ISDN PRI trunks, SIP trunks to ASM, H.323 IP trunks to other equipment and digital or analog phones) or any other odd behavior users might notice such as phones being reset (the older 8410 phones that need the speakers reset after they're been disconnected or also if any IP phones would be disconnected which would require the user to log back in to the phone).

Can someone answer that?

I'm trying to remember, but I think there's a command to force a certain IPSI card to be in use if the active IPSI and active server don't line up, right? (for the purpose of moving the connections of the standby IPSI and standby server at the same time). For example, I'd like to make server A active (if it's not already) and also make the IPSI active that's plugged into the 'control net A' LAN switch. At that point, I'd move the standby server (which would be server B in this scenario) and the other IPSI that's not active now which is on control net B over to the new LAN switch so there's no disruption. Then I'd do a server interchange and Server B active and also do the command (set ipserver-interface?) to make control net A IPSI standby and go ahead and move the connections for Server A and the IPSI on control net A. Make sense? Sound correct?
Thanks

You'll definitely have to do a server interchange when you want to make the current standby active. That, I believe is service affecting. To switch between IPSI boards I believe the command is
set ipserv xxx, which I do not impacts service.

I have done interchanges in the middle of the day before without an issue, the calls that are currently connected should not disconnect, but the calls that are in transition, like calls that are ringing or in the middle of dialing will be disconnected, at least this is what I've experienced in the past. But whenever I schedule an interchange, its always after hours unless it has to happen for emergency reasons.

Forgot to mention that calls in queue should not be affected by the interchange either.

Thanks. I plan on doing it after hours, so I think it should go basically unnoticed. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back