Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

will ip licenses transfer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

modulistic

Technical User
Feb 7, 2008
US
customer wants to purchase a used 3300 to operate as a redundant backup for his existing 3300. the new 3300 has some ip licenses he wants to take advantage of. is it possible to combine or transfer the ip licenses and other licenses?

The only licenses that he can transfer are the ones that he already owns. If the new 3300 was originally owned by another company, then you will not be able to transfer the licenses. Mitel will require him to re-register the new hardware and purchase new licenses for the new hardware or transfer some of his existing licenses to the new hardware.

Hi Modulistic;
I'm agree with paterson. as it's not under your AMC account you cann't.

I should change my name to "Mitelgotmebytheballs

The lesson here is to avoid the secondary market for "Licensed" technology and software. Licenses are not transferrable between separate owners and therefore cannot legally be sold. You may legally purchase the hardware, but any software and/or licenses that coincidentally may be present on the 2nd-hand gear are not part of the deal.

I also believe that if the system Controller was part of a dealer demo kit that Mitel will not even allow you to re-register it.

Can we still use the second controller? I mean even if the licenses are not able to used from the "new" controller could we wipe and use our backup from the "old" one? Just for redundancy sake?

Not from a legal standpoint. Those licenses aren't transferrable, ergo they're not yours. I believe beyond software release 5.3.5 (or thereabouts) you're also going to hit a snag trying to perform system software upgrades.

From a legal standpoint it is going to be of little use other than for parts to support similar controllers of the approx. same vintage. Even if you buy a new sysid for it & go the relicensing route, unless it has 512 Megs of ram it will soon be at the end of the road for future software starting with release 9.1 (sometime next year I believe)

Legal issues notwithstanding, the machine would likely work within its current configuration limits, including the current software & licenses that's loaded on it.

Im not sure if you understood his question. Maybe you did and Im just retarded and didnt understand the answer

What we are wondering is can we get an ebay controller and just use it as a redundant backup, or will it entail a lot of licensing and fees from mitel?

I was think along the same lines (not you being retarded), but just using the hardware, but it sounds like we'd need something like a sysid to future-proof the environment.

For example - we upgrade the original and then we have to upgrade the other/new one and poof it won't go because it's not legitimate - then the trunking fails...!?

There is a "new" hardware platform currently in distribution which will be required later next year for any site desiring to move to release 9.1 and beyond. I would be very suspicious of anything on the used market today that would offer that level of future upgradeability.

As for a hardware spare, something to have on the shelf, yes that'd work though you'd need to move over your sysid from one system to the other then restore your database. Sorry if I misunderstood the question. This spare would also be limited in its ability to be a swappable system without a lot of busywork swapping T1/E1 modules, FIMs, etc.

Two most likely items to fail are the hard drive and, if used, the internal AMB. I can change either and have the customer back on line in less time than it'd take to breathe life into a spare unit from the cabinet, unless the spare was literally identically configured and all ready to go except for the database & sysid.

I just hate to see people buy a pig in a poke.

Hm, we were able to transfer licenses from one company we bought used equipment from. They were an original owner, so it wasn't re-sale. Our VAR wrote some sort of a letter to MITEL and we got this sysid and all the licenses under our account. Most likely it will not work with stuff from eBay.

Can we run the ebay 3300 as a failsafe redundant controller simultaneously with the currently running controller?

Actually if it is the same hardware you can keep the second one as a cold backup. You can even load system software on it. In case you need to recover the system just transfer sysID module, install licenses and restore backup. I have bought a couple of systems from eBay for parts. Never actually needed but I have much better sleep since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back