Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Will installing win98 over a previos install erase my files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halfcan

Technical User
Dec 8, 2002
US
Hi
I have a problem where an install of Norton Anti virus overwrote a windows system file. Now the laptop will not boot into windows. I get the 7 choices - Normal, SafeMode, -Safe Mode with command prompt, Step by Step...ect..

Before the laptop quit booting I ran system file checker and repaired a file called user.dat

I rebooted and that was it. In step by step mode, the boot process dies at a file called pwrsave.vxd
saying yes or no, it goes to a black screen for a few minutes, then reboots.

I don't know what else to do besides trying to reload windows.

This is win98 1st edition, If I pop in a floppy boot disk, and attempt to install windows again, will my drive be formatted automatically, hence erasing my data? or will I get a choice?

Any help would be most definetly appreciated in a big way.
thanks,
Andy

Re-installing windows 98 over top of an original installation will not wipe out your files. I have had to do the same thing on several different occasions in order to recover a computer some one messed up. The method I use is to boot with a floppy that also loads CD drivers and then use an upgrade disk of Win 98SE and I have never had a problem.

This is a Toshiba laptop, model 2535CDS. Can I use just any startup disk? Or do thinks this could be a problem?

Thanks,
Andy

I have tried reinstalling win98 over the top, but now am getting the error message:SU0168, informing me that an OS was already installed on my machine and that I need to purchase the Win98 Upgrade version. Even if I had the upgrade version, I wouldn't be able to install it be cause win98SE upgrade needs to be run from windows, and MY windows installation doesn't boot. I only want to reinstall, this is win 98 and I have a 1st edition win98 cd. Anyone know why it thinks I'm upgrading? Are there any restore tools that I can run from dos?
please help,
Andy

Yeah, it is finding win.com in c:\windows. First step is try reinstall after renaming that file.

There are several different problems that reinstall can come up with, this is the most common.

But whatever you do, don't panic, and don't do anything dumb like deleting anything. Renames are OK. People here will respond if there is more that is blocking the new.

And if you have room, you might want to do the install from the hard drive. Saves lots of time and is cleaner for the future changes.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

and my old files will still be ok?
Thanks,
Andy

Do I have to install to C:\Windows.000 directory or can I install in C:\Windows?
please help!
Andy

hey athiel,

read your other post I might have found your problem with the pwrsave.vxd problem.

SD

put it in c:\windows. You'll probably get a warning message, which you can ignore.
Has to go there to be positioned to find your programs.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back